Doctoral - Change of Thesis Title Procedures
Doctoral candidates who wish to change the title of their thesis. These procedures do not apply where a candidate wishes to change their topic or subject. To change topic or subject, a candidate must contact the School of Graduate Studies for advice.
To specify the procedures that apply where a doctoral candidate wishes to change the title of their thesis.
1. A doctoral candidate must apply through Wahapū to change the title of their thesis; where access to Wahapū has not yet been granted, the candidate must apply via a Doc 6 form*.
2. The candidate must provide a rationale for the proposed change in title.
3. The candidate may be asked to provide further information in order to facilitate consideration of their application.
4. The candidate’s supervisor will indicate whether they support the application and may comment on the application.
5. The final decision will be made by the Board of Graduate Studies (or delegate).
* In exceptional circumstances, written authorisation from a candidate or their proxy may be accepted.
The following defintitions apply to this document:
Doctoral candidate refers to a student enrolled in a doctoral degree at the University.
Supervisor refers to the (acting) main supervisor or to a joint supervisor.
Thesis is a substantial presentation of the outcome of an original and coherent doctoral research project. It situates the research in the broader framework of the disciplinary field(s), and entails a cohesive written document.
University means the University of Auckland and includes all subsidiaries.
Wahapū is the University’s online doctoral candidature management system.
Key relevant documents
Include the following:
Document management and control
Content manager: School of Graduate Studies
Owner: Dean of Graduate Studies
Approved by: Board of Graduate Studies
Date approved: October 2020
Review date: October 2023