Court of Convocation Statute 2022
Title and commencement
This statute is made pursuant to section 4 of the University of Auckland Act 1961, (Act) and may be cited as the Court of Convocation Statute 2022. This statute repeals and replaces the Court of Convocation Statute 2016. It comes into force on 13 December 2022.
This statute applies to members of the Court of Convocation and those eligible to become members.
This statute defines the principles and procedures that govern the registration of members of the Court of Convocation.
Under section 4 (7) of the Act 1, the Court of Convocation may make representations to Council on any matter concerning the interests of the University.
1. The Registrar will ensure that the Register is prepared and maintained.
2. The Register may be maintained in such a format (or formats) as the Registrar, after consultation with the Council, determines.
3. The Register will (subject to section 4 of the Act) contain the names and the contact addresses of persons entitled to be enrolled on the Register under the Act.
4. Consistent with the provisions of section 4 (5) of the Act each person will be entitled to have their name enrolled on the Register of the Court of Convocation (without fee) who:
- is a graduate of the University; or
- not being such a graduate, is a professor or graduate full time member of the staff of the University; or
- being a graduate of the University of New Zealand is not by reason of that qualification enrolled on the Register of the Court of Convocation for any other University in New
- under section 23A of the New Zealand University Act 1908 was enrolled or entitled to be enrolled on the register of the Court of Convocation of the University of Auckland at 31st December, 1961, or
- was an undergraduate member of the University of Auckland at the 31st of December, 1961, and became a graduate of The University of New Zealand after that date.
5. A person who is not enrolled on the Register and who believes that they are entitled to be enrolled on the Register under the provisions of this statute or the Act, may apply to the Registrar for enrolment. Each application for enrolment will contain such evidence of the facts and matters the Registrar may reasonably require to determine whether or not the applicant satisfies the requirements for enrolment on the Register.
The following definitions apply to this statute:
Act means the University of Auckland Act 1961.
Council refers to the Council, the governing body of the University of Auckland.
Graduate means a person who has graduated from the University of Auckland.
Register means the list of members of the Court of Convocation.
Registrar means the Registrar of the University.
University means Waipapa Taumata Rau | University of Auckland and includes all subsidiaries.
Key relevant documents
Include the following:
Document management and control
Owner: Vice Chancellor
Content manager: Registrar
Approved by: Council
Date approved: 12 December 2022
Review date: 12 December 2027