Active armed offender
If there is an active armed offender on campus, you have three options: Run, hide or fight.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Help others escape, if possible.
- Do not attempt to move the wounded.
- Prevent others from entering an area where the active armed offender may be.
- Call 111 when you are safe.
- Hide in an area out of the active armed offender’s view.
- Lock door or block entry to your hiding place.
- Silence your cell phone (including vibrate mode) and remain quiet.
- Fight as a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the offender.
- Act with as much physical aggression as possible.
- Improvise weapons or throw items at the offender.
Helping the injured
If someone is injured, only start first aid if it is safe to do so. More information: First Aid.
If it is not safe, try to take note of where they are and report their location to the police once you have escaped to safety.
The first police officers to arrive will not stop to help the injured as their priority is to remove the threat.
Rescue teams will treat and remove injured people only when the offender has been apprehended.
Last Updated: Dec 2019
Next Review: Dec 2022
Approver: Associate Director, Health Safety & Wellbeing