A range of resources to support your IT learning.
Microsoft Training Site
Office 2007, 2010, 2013, Office 2011 for Mac and iPad online training from Microsoft
Microsoft Ribbon Hero
For Office 2007 or 2010: Why not have some fun, and score some points while you're learning? This is the best available free to use interactive training available for Microsoft products. Download the small program from OfficeLabs by clicking on the button next to the version that matches your operating system. Once downloaded double-click the file to start the installation process. Once installed run Word, Excel or PowerPoint, then click on the Ribbon Hero icon on the right side of your ribbon to get started. XP, Vista, and Windows 7 versions available.
UoA Productivity Hub
Visit the Productivity Hub for free MS Office training including SharePoint (videos and documents).
Microsoft Office 2003 to 2007/2010 upgrade: Interactive guides
Upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007/2010 and not sure where to find some of your commands on the new ribbon? Try these free online interactive guides. All you need to do is show the guide how you would have completed your command on 2003, and it will show you how to do the same thing in the ribbon version, it's as easy as that!
Microsoft Office free tutorials and online classes
For Office 2007, 2010, 2013, computer basics, iPad basics, and typing tutorials: Try some free online tutorials and classes with GCF Learn Free. This website is totally free through donations of organisation supporters.
Excel Easy presents a comprehensive list of easy to follow tutorials http://www.excel-easy.com
Video tutorials about using Excel on youtube
Microsoft help and additional notes
Word 2007/2010: Creating numbered headings
For those writing a thesis or long document in Word, needing to learn how to set up numbered headings see these easy to follow instructions for Word 2007/2010.
Word 2010 Creating a bibliography
If you are creating a one-off or just an occasional bibliography then consider creating a Bibliography using MS Word. For more regular users this is not intended as a replacement for more functional software such as ENDNOTE or PAPYRUS.
Excel 2013 Keyboard shortcuts
Take a look at this list of Excel 2013 keyboard shortcuts. Cut down your RSI risk by using these quick keyboard alternatives to reaching for your mouse all the time.
Adobe TV training site
Adobe TV website - Adobe video tutorials, choose your application from the Products drop-down list.
Creative Sweet TV - A blog of fun, good quality video tutorials on all Creative Suite applications; Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash, Bridge, Premiere Pro etc.
Other free training for Adobe products
- The best free resources are in the SPSS software under help/tutorials and case studies. These are brilliant resources that step you through the whole procedure from "why do I need to do it?" through "how do I do it?" to "how do I interpret what I get back?"
POD does not offer training on the following applications (all are accessed with your username and password):
- Cecil: help is provided after login, click on any Help button to be taken to the relevant online help pages. Click here to log in.
- Student Services Online: contact the SIMS training team or AskIT ext. 85100. Click here for more information, or click here to log in.
- Web Room Bookings: click here for online help or contact the room bookings team. View current room bookings or make a request.
- Syllabus Plus: click here for online help or contact timetable support. Click here to log in.
- AskIT: Manage your tickets online, or email the service desk, or call on ext. 85100.
Other applications and guides
- SAS (Statistics): Free online training is offered for all UoA staff and students here. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the current activation code.
- Quick reference guides: Download Free Quick Reference Guides for a range of Microsoft, Adobe and other applications.
- Filemaker: Whether you're a new user or a seasoned pro, FileMaker video tutorials will help you work faster and share more. With easy step-by-step instructions, self-paced online tutorials, and convenient anytime accessibility through your web browser, FileMaker video tutorials allow you to make the most of your FileMaker products.
- Test your typing speed and learn to type: Test your current typing speed on the Typing Master website, and then learn to touch type by downloading the free trial of Typing Master. The first three levels of typing exercises are free.
- Scanning tips: www.scantips.com has some useful information and tips on using your scanner.
- Free PDF writer: Visit www.primopdf.com for a free download.