Tuition fees 2016 by faculty

This page contains the 2016 tuition fees by faculty for domestic and international students.

Student Services Fee

In addition to the tuition fees for each course, you may be charged a Student Services Fee of $6.29 per point.

Domestic status for international PhD students

Since January 1 2006, new international PhD students may be accorded domestic status for the purposes of tuition fees - meaning that you’ll pay domestic rates rather than international rates.

A new international PhD student is defined as a foreign student enrolled for the first time after 19 April 2005 in a Doctor of Philosophy programme at a New Zealand university.

To be eligible, you must reside in New Zealand during the duration of your doctoral programme. You may undertake research activities overseas during your doctoral programme for a cumulative total of no more than 12 months.

Additional benefits of this New Zealand Government policy include access to state schooling for dependent children and your partner's eligibility to apply for an open work permit, valid for the duration of the PhD study. This domestic fees policy represents a unique opportunity for international students.

Read about the application and registration process if you wish to apply for a PhD. You should indicate clearly that you are an international student applying to be admitted under the new tuition fees policy.

For more information, see Apply for a doctorate

For assistance and information with PhD administration, contact the School of Graduate Studies.

Policy changes related to domestic status for international PhD students

  • Dependent children of all international PhD students will be classified as domestic students in New Zealand state schools from 1 January 2006.
  • International students who have graduated from a course that would gain points under the Skilled Migrant Category will be eligible for a twelve-month open work permit.
  • Once graduates have gained work this way, they can go on to apply for either a post-study two year work permit or proceed directly to apply for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category.
  • Partners of all international postgraduate students are able to apply for an open work permit valid for the duration of the student's course of study. This policy change came into effect from 4 July 2005.

These changes are the result of a review of immigration student policy carried out by the Department of Labour. The department worked closely with other government agencies and Education New Zealand (ENZ), New Zealand's international education industry body.