Compensation and entitlements

You may be eligible for compensation and entitlements if you have suffered a work-related accident.

This is to aid your recovery and return to work, or vocational independence.

If you require time away from work, you may be entitled to weekly compensation to cover lost earnings.

You will continue to receive your full earnings while medically certified unfit to work and recovering from work-related injuries.  

Medical certificates

  • Must be provided for all work-related injuries resulting in lost time due to being deemed unfit for work. Send these to the WorkAon Case Manager. Contact details: WorkAon.
  • Renew prior to the expiry date under the section ‘work capacity’ of an ACC45 or an ACC18. Failure to do so may result in weekly compensation being stopped.
  • Must be produced even if you are undertaking a gradual return to work programme on restricted hours.

Medical certificates: ACC45 and ACC18

There are two types of forms provided by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).


This claim form is issued on your first visit to a treatment provider and also acts as your first medical certificate, allowing for a maximum of 14 work days of accident leave. It is also the form that is used to lodge a claim with the ACC.

  • If you are a staff member at the University or UniServices, present your ID card to the treatment provider and request that the claim form is directed to WorkAon and not ACC.
  • If you receive the claim form, submit it to the


An ACC18 Medical Certificate will be issued to you, the injured employee, during subsequent visits to a treatment provider.

It describes how the injury affects your capacity to work and any needs you may have. This can be found in the section for Work Capacity on the form.

You will receive a hard copy of the ACC18 and need to give this to the WorkAon Case Manager and your University manager in order to maintain weekly compensation.

Note: You need to see your doctor prior to the medical certificate expiry date, if you are still incapacitated. If extended, your certificate must be sent to WorkAon and your manager.

Accident leave

The University is part of the ACC Partnership Programme. This means that if you are injured in a work-related accident and have to take time off work because of it, you may be entitled to 'accident leave'.

Staff absent from work because of a work-related injury shall be placed on accident leave. This means sick leave and annual leave entitlements will not be affected.

Further information about accident leave at the University can be found in the Accident Leave and Weekly Compensation policy.


Each person’s injury and circumstance will be unique and may require specific support for recovery.

When an injury claim has been investigated and accepted, you may be eligible for certain entitlements.

These include:

  • Acute treatment
  • Public health acute services
  • Elective surgery
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Imaging
  • Home-based care
  • Rehabilitation
  • Transport
  • Compensation for lost earnings
  • Lump sum compensation
  • Modifications (housing/vehicles)
  • Accidental death benefits.

A WorkAon case manager will discuss these entitlements with you and other relevant parties throughout the process. This will be done during an initial needs assessment and individual rehabilitation plans.

Document Control
Version: 1.0
Last Updated: June 2020
Next Review: June 2023
Approver: Associate Director, Health Safety & Wellbeing