How to start a club
Are you interested in starting a new club on campus? Do you think you have something new and different to add to the University?
In order to become an officially recognised club on campus, first you need to complete a Statement of Purpose where you describe the purpose of your club and planned activities for the year.
Once approved, you will need to:
- Have at least 10 members (70% of whom must be current students with valid Student ID numbers).
- Elect a President, Treasurer and Secretary as officers.
- Have a constitution (this outlines your reason for existing and club rules).
- Have a bank account with two officers as signatories.
- Hold an initial General Meeting where all of the above is confirmed and recorded in the minutes.
The student body will then be asked to consider whether your group should be officially recognised. This part of the process is managed by the Auckland University Students' Association (AUSA). Being formally recognised by the University allows your club to:
- Book rooms and hold events on campus.
- Apply for club grants.
- Book things like BBQs and tables for your on-campus events.
- Have a stall during O-week.
- Get a listing on the University website.
- Access club manuals, training, development and support.
- Be eligible for Club Awards.
- All the support and advice you need to run a successful club.