How to start a club
Are you interested in starting a new club on campus? Do you think you have something new and different to add to the University?
In order to become an officially recognised club on campus, first you need to complete a Statement of Purpose where you describe the purpose of your club and planned activities for the year.
Once approved, you will need to:
- Have at least 10 members (70% of whom must be current students with valid Student ID numbers).
- Elect a President, Treasurer and Secretary as officers.
- Have a constitution (this outlines your reason for existing and club rules).
- Have a bank account with two officers as signatories.
- Hold an initial General Meeting where all of the above is confirmed and recorded in the minutes.
Your club will then be affiliated to the University through AUSA, the Auckland University Students Association. Official recognition allows your club to:
- Book rooms and hold events on campus.
- Apply for club grants.
- Book things like BBQs and tables for your on-campus events.
- Have a stall during O-week.
- Get a listing on the University website.
- Access club manuals, training, development and support.
- Be eligible for Club Awards.
- All the support and advice you need to run a successful club.
Annual health checks for existing clubs
Annual Health Checks are currently under review. More information will be released in due course.
Annual Health Checks are required each year to make sure that the club still exists and is running OK. It requires the club to:
- Update the contact and officer details of the club.
- Tell us about any changes to your constitution.
- Provide current membership numbers, and evidence that at least 70% of the members are currently enrolled University of Auckland students.
- A financial check to make sure the club’s financial systems are in order.