Elite athletes and high performing students
Our High Performance Support Programme could help with the challenges of juggling tertiary study with the commitments associated with your chosen sport or activity.
About the High Performance Support Programme
The programme offers the following services:
- Advice on balancing your commitments, University processes, degree planning and support to reach your academic and extra-curricular goals.
- Access to funding through the Sport Support Fund, details below.
- Free gym membership if required (you must be studying at least 30 points).
- Space - rehearsal space can be an invaluable asset to those practicing for an upcoming event or competition. While space at the University is at a premium, we will endeavour to find an appropriate area for you to rehearse or practice on campus.
- Networking opportunities.
As a member of the programme you will have gained elite status in your chosen field, performing at the highest level in your sport or artistic pursuit and have been recognised by a national organisation.
Members are generally competing or performing at an international level. For example, representing New Zealand in a senior or age group team, playing in a professional franchise or being a member of a national performance group.
It is important that you maintain good academic standards, keep the University informed of your sporting commitments, and are able to share relevant footage (images and video) with the University, so it can celebrate and share in your successes.
How to register
Registrations are accepted at any time. Students remain on the programme throughout their study, provided that they are performing at the same level and maintain communication with the programme.
Sport Support Fund
This fund provides grants to high performance athletes who are competing and achieving at the highest levels of their sport. This is available to those who have been selected to represent New Zealand or the University of Auckland at an international level and need assistance with travel, accommodation, registration fees and other costs associated with attending international events.
Unfortunately the fund has now closed for 2019.
Students who have an exam that clashes with representing New Zealand at an international sporting or cultural event are eligible to sit the exam at an alternate location or time. Students in this situation should contact the examinations office as early as possible to apply and must provide the required supporting documentation.