NZ Workplace Insights Programme (WIP)
We're looking for energetic international students for an exciting programme designed to help you understand the NZ workplace!
Calling all international students! Are you eager to experience a New Zealand workplace and improve your understanding of Kiwi culture? WIP was designed with you in mind!
International students add flavour to the University of Auckland, giving dimension and depth to New Zealand’s cultural fabric. To assist with the transition to the New Zealand workplace, Career Development and Employability Services (CDES) created the programme to build connections between current students and both alumni and New Zealand employers, to help broaden the students understanding of kiwi workplace culture.
“I was lucky to get to know many friendly alumni and fellow students, connecting with them through email, WeChat, and face-to-face catch ups. They shared their impressive experience and knowledge with me, which was useful for my study and career plan.”
WIP is designed to help international students to:
- Build self-confidence and discover the expectations of the New Zealand workplace
- Develop practical job-searching skills
- Connect with University of Auckland alumni working in New Zealand
- Prepare students for working life in New Zealand
- Gain preferential access to NZ workplace visits for international students organised by CDES
So, how does WIP work?
During the semester long programme, WIP participants will undergo capability building activities to increase their networking confidence.
Then, the students are partnered with University of Auckland alumni from various industries, through networking events hosted by CDES. This will be followed by self-organised student-alumni meetups. The alumni may also be able to offer students the opportunity to visit their workplace. We will endeavour to partner students with alumni from similar backgrounds, but this is not always guaranteed.
Participants will also gain access to additional work-readiness initiatives, such as company site visits and on-campus workshops facilitated by alumni and employers.
Throughout the programme, CDES will also facilitate career coaching group sessions which will help provide a support network to navigate roadblocks that students may encounter during the programme.
Who can participate?
To be eligible, the student must be:
- An international student currently enrolled at the University of Auckland
- Committed, enthusiastic and motivated to step out of your comfort zone
- Able to attend an introductory workshop, social functions, and career group meetings
How to apply
Applications are now open for the Semester Two intake, and is open to all students (undergraduate and postgraduate at any level of study).
Applications close on Sunday 28 July.
If you would like to volunteer for this exciting programme, please visit: Lend a helping hand to an international student.
The WIP is one of the best services CDES offers – connecting students with alumni a few years ahead of them who can relate to their experiences. To all international alumni working in the city: get involved!
What past WIP participants have to say about their experience:
- Jazmine Ho participated in 2018, read her inspiring story about her career journey
- Wenling Lin participated in the WIP in 2018, read her student profile and learn about her experience with the programme
- Marcus Leong recently completed a Bachelor of Science, read his student profile and see how mentors in the WIP programme helped him learn how Kiwi workplaces operate
- Jonathan Li is an alumni volunteer, learn about how he helps support students in the programme in his alumni profile
This programme is a collaborative project supported by the Career Development and Employability Services (CDES), International Office, and Alumni Office.