Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Geophysics
Your BSc programme will consist of a number of courses worth 15 points each, totalling 360 points.
You must complete the following courses plus a capstone course in your final year of study. The capstone course is a student-led project where you integrate and apply your learning to a real-world problem in your chosen major or specialisation. For Geophysics we recommend the capstone course, GEOPHYS 399. For other capstone options, see our Capstone courses page.
- EARTHSCI 120 Planet Earth
- PHYSICS 120 Advancing Physics 1 or PHYSICS 160 Physics for the Life Sciences
- MATHS 108 General Mathematics 1 or MATHS 110 Mathematics for Science
- MATHS 208 General Mathematics 2
15 points from:
- GEOPHYS 213 The Geophysical Environment
- GEOPHYS 310 Physics of the Earth
- GEOPHYS 311 Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Physics
- PHYSICS 201 Classical and Thermal Physics
15 points from:
If you began your degree prior to 2019 we recommend you seek advice to make sure you are taking the correct courses. Contact the Science Student Centre at email@example.com.
Doing a double major with Geophysics
If you choose to do a double major in your BSc we recommend the following subjects to complement Geophysics: Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Environmental Science, Geography, Mathematics, Physics and Statistics.
Preparing for your Geophysics major
Some students will feel more prepared for our Geophysics courses if they have already studied some science subjects in high school.
Find out which school subjects will help you feel prepared by reading our Subject guide for school students.
Help and advice
For further information and advice, please contact the Science Student Centre.
Science Student Centre
Level G, Room G 20
(Beside the entrance to the Large Chemistry Lecture Theatre)
23 Symonds Street