Bachelor of Science, majoring in Geophysics from 2019
Your BSc programme will consist of a number of courses worth 15 points each, totalling 360 points. As part of your major you’ll complete the Geophysics capstone course, GEOPHYS 399, where you’ll investigate and report on key geophysical phenomena using experimental, observational, computational and numerical processes.
For your Geophysics major you must complete the following courses, plus the Geophysics capstone course, GEOPHYS 399, in your final year of study:
- EARTHSCI 120 Planet Earth*
- PHYSICS 120 Advancing Physics 1 or PHYSICS 160 Physics for the Life Sciences
- MATHS 108 General Mathematics 1 or MATHS 110 Mathematics for Science
- MATHS 208 General Mathematics 2
- MATHS 120 Algebra*
- MATHS 130 Calculus*
- MATHS 250 Advancing Mathematics 2
15 points from:
- GEOPHYS 213 The Geophysical Environment
- GEOPHYS 310 Physics of the Earth
- GEOPHYS 311 Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Physics
- PHYSICS 201 Classical and Thermal Physics
15 points from:
*Subject to approval for 2019
Doing a double major with Geophysics
If you choose to do a double major in your BSc we recommend the following subjects to complement Geophysics: Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Environmental Science, Geography, Mathematics, Physics and Statistics.
Preparing for your Geophysics major
Some students will feel more prepared for our Geophysics courses if they have already studied some science subjects in high school.
Find out which school subjects will help you feel prepared by reading our Subject guide for school students.
Help and advice
For further information and advice, please contact the Science Student Centre.
Science Student Centre
Level G, Room G 20
(Beside the entrance to the Large Chemistry Lecture Theatre)
23 Symonds Street