Doctoral study in Linguistics
Why study with us?
We were placed in the top 100 in the QS World Rankings by Subject 2020.
As a doctoral candidate, you'll benefit from: financial support for research expenses through PReSS funding; high-calibre supervision practices; and the networks and expertise of our world-class academic researchers.
We welcome PhD research proposals in areas such as:
- Pragmatics-syntax interface
- Phonetics and phonology
- Language documentation
- Theoretical syntax
- Comparative syntax
- Syntax-semantics interface
- Linguistics fieldwork
- Austronesian languages
- Papuan languages
- Indo-Aryan languages
A large number of high-calibre researchers work in Linguistics at the University of Auckland.
Past research topics
- "Mandarin compounds at the interface" | Supervised by Dr Jason Brown and Associate Professor Michael Barlow
- "Business complaints calls in Saudi Arabic: A pragmatic discourse analytic study" | Supervised by Dr Helen Charters
- "Tongue retraction in Arabic: An ultrasound and acoustic study" | Supervised by Dr Jason Brown
- "Cleft constructions in Chinese: An information structure analysis" | Supervised by Professor Yan Huang
Scholarships and awards
Help and advice
Our friendly staff will provide you with advice on enrolling in your PhD at Student Hubs.
If you would like to find out more about doctoral study in Linguistics, you can contact our PhD Adviser.