GLOBAL 101G Global Issues, Sustainable Futures
GLOBAL 101G | Open | Semester One 2021 | City Campus | 15 points
Global issues such as population, over-consumption and environmental change are crucial to the creation of a sustainable future. This course considers the idea that we are now living in a new geological age, the anthropocene, in which human activity has become the dominant influence on climate and the envrionment.
The basic science that underpins our understanding of the global issues of climate change, resource availability and environmental degradation will be presented and the debate which surrounds some of these issues discussed. The local and international legal frameworks introduced to incororate sustainabilty into society, including the Resource Management Act, will be introduced.
The course examines the complex, global dynamics influencing sustainability using a multi-disciplinary approach. Students will consider the roles and implications of social and cultural practices, government policies, economic and business models, the planning, design and management of the built environment, product manufacturing and life cycles, and increasing technological dependence. The roles of various professionals and disciplines in contributing to achieving sustainability through a multi-disciplinary approach will be identified, using both case studies and panel discussions.
Note: this course was formerly known as GENED 101G and can not be taken by students who have previously passed that course.
At the end of this course you will understand:
- the major global issues which are posing risks to the future of society
- the roles of professionals in various disciplines in resolving and mitigating these risks
- how solutions are being developed at various levels to contribute to achieving sustainability
- how to foster rational discussions on global issues and proposed solutions
- how to assist in developing solutions and approaches to achieve sustainability.
- Global issues
- Human rights, law and governance
- Sustainable business
- Sustainable infrastructure and technology
- Planning for sustainable cities