INTBUS 151G Business Across Borders
INTBUS 151G | ARTS, EDUSW, EMHSS, LC | Semester Two 2018 | City Campus
Business on a global scale presents unique challenges and unrivalled opportunities to companies equipped to cross national boundaries. Set against a background of current events, Business across Borders explores the influence of international trade and multinational corporations on the contemporary global economy.
This course will introduce you to multinational corporations (MNCs), businesses that now impinge on the lives of almost everyone on Earth. These organisations undertake most of the world’s trade and an increasingly large share of its economic output. This courses will provide you with a non-technical introduction to these firms, with which we all eventually engage as customers, employees, shareholders, regulators, or concerned citizens.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Define and describe the multinational corporations (MNC) and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).
- Clarify the role the MNC plays in the international economy.
- Summarise the political challenges posed by the MNC and FDI.
- Appreciate arguments for and against the MNC and FDI.
- Multinational Corporations (MNC) and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
- Defining FDI and the MNC
- From nowhere to everywhere: The rise of the MNC
- The very various varieties of the MNC
- Power up: How MNCs come to be
- Invading space: The geography of FDI
- MNCs and the developing world
- MNCs and international trade
- MNCs: Out of control?
- Ideological perspectives on the MNC
- The case for FDI and the MNC
- The case against FDI and the MNC
- Catch-up and review
Online quizzes x 8 (40%)
Final examination (60%)