Supporting staff with children
These policies and guidelines explain how the University works to support you as a staff member as you meet the challenges of combining parenting and a career.
Announcement: New Early Childhood Centre at the University
Our newest Early Childhood Centre, Te Ako o te Tui, is now accepting applications from parents with children over 2 years' old, ready for an immediate start.
Te Ako o te Tui is located on the Grafton Campus and offers students some of the lowest Early Childhood Centre fees in Auckland.
The centre is a brand new, purpose-built building, beautifully furnished with the latest play and education equipment.
Staffed by qualified and experienced teachers, Te Ako o te Tui offers dynamic teaching and learning environments based on Te Whāriki, the New Zealand early childhood curriculum.
Te Ako o te Tui is currently accepting enrolments for children between 2 years and 5 years of age. For enquiries, or to make an enrolment, contact the Te Ako o te Tui team by email or phone.
To make an enrolment:
Direct dial: 09 923 6729
Parenting, work-life balance and recognition
- We are committed to helping staff balance their life, family and carer responsibilities. Read our Work, Life, Family and Carers Policy.
- We are committed to supporting flexible working arrangements for staff with carer responsibilities. Read our Flexible Work Policy and Procedures.
- Flexible Work Arrangements Application Form
- Flexible Work Policy Approval Form
- We recognise that not everyone has a conventional or linear career path and career interruptions are accounted for when assessing merit. Read our policy on merit relative to opportunity.
- Read our guidelines on merit relative to opportunity.
- Parental leave is the time off work to care for a newborn or adopted child. There is both paid and unpaid parental leave and it may be provided by the government and/or the University for either parent. Read our parental leave policy
- University of Auckland Parental Leave Application Form
- IRD Paid Parental Leave Application Form (IR880)
- Read the comprehensive Parental Leave Guide
- If you think your child will be enrolled in one of our early childhood centres, we advise you to make arrangements as early as possible. Early Childhood Education Centres (ECE)
- Salary Sacrificing of ECE fees is available for staff with children in our ECEs, including Hineteiwaiwa Te Kohanga Reo or Te Puna Kōhungahunga. Fees are deducted from your pre-tax salary. Salary Sacrificing Application Form
- We have guidelines for babies and children on campus. These will help you make appropriate arrangements among managers, employees and colleagues. Please remember that some places on campus are not safe, and there are specific requirements for taking children on field trips. Read the guidelines
- OSCN is a not-for-profit organisation which provides training and information to before/after school and school holiday programmes. Email email@example.com
- Read more about government subsidies for childcare.
Breastfeeding and working
- Information to support breastfeeding and expressing and storing milk at work is found in Section 6 of the CPC Toolkit.
- The City, Epsom, Grafton, Newmarket and Tāmaki campuses have designated spaces for breastfeeding or expressing.
- Portable mini-fridges for storing expressed breastmilk are available from the Equity Office.
Expecting and new parents network
A new group of expecting and new parents has been formed to give mutual support to university staff and their partners. Please contact Nick Matzke