Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) Guidelines


These guidelines apply to permanent and fixed-term staff members at the University.


Explanation of the EAP service that supports the Health and Safety Policy.


University staff members have access to support and assistance through EAP Services - a confidential and independent provider of professional services including counselling.

Qualified and experienced professionals are trained to recognise and assist with overcoming problems which may be affecting home and work lives including work stress, financial worries, alcohol, depression, relationships, grief and physical illness. Other services provided include financial, legal and career advisory.


Key features

  • All staff members, except casual employees, may use the programme
  • These services are free of charge to University staff members and their families for up to three sessions
  • On-going treatment beyond this, or referral to another specialist, will normally be the responsibility of the staff member however special cases may be approved for up to another three sessions
  • This service is totally confidential and voluntary
  • No identifiable details regarding individuals contacting EAP Services are released to the University
  • Self-referral is encouraged
  • Staff members liaise with EAP directly to arrange session times that suits them
  • Early participation is encouraged. Ignoring a problem poses the risk that it will intensify and affect more aspects of your life
  • Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • If the staff member prefers not to go and talk to someone face-to-face, EAP have a number of other options
  • Availability of EAP Services to attend on-site critical incident or trauma support for University staff members as and when required through a 24-hour service
  • Any complaints, issues, or general feedback to be directed to your HR Manager or Advisor

How do I use EAP?

  • Contact EAP Services directly by visiting the EAP website or contacting them on 0800 327 669
  • You do not have to discuss your situation or any details of your problem with your academic head, supervisor or anyone else
  • If you wish, you can first approach your academic head or supervisor and discuss your problem
  • If your academic head or supervisor has concerns that you may have a personal problem that is affecting your work, then referral to the programme may be offered
  • You may choose when counselling takes place, either in your own time or during working hours
  • In the latter case, you can simply arrange time off with your supervisor before your appointment
  • Normal leave entitlement applies if assessment and counselling take place during working hours
  • Usually the first visit involves an hour long session with a professional (counsellor, psychologist etc) to clarify the nature of the problem and to determine what further assistance is recommended
  • The professional can help by:
    • identifying the nature of the problem
    • looking at the cause of the problem
    • suggesting ways of overcoming the problem

Contact details

If you would like to use the programme contact:

EAP Services website

0800-327-669 (0800-EAP-NOW)


The following definitions apply to this document:

Academic head covers heads of departments, schools and other teaching and research units at Level 3 in the University Organisation Structure.

Staff member refers to an individual employed by the University on a full or part time basis.

EAP means the Employee Assistance Programme offered by the University to its staff members.

University means the University of Auckland and includes all subsidiaries.

Key relevant documents

Document management and control

Owner: Director, Human Resources
Content manager: Associate Director, HR Advisory
Approved by: Vice-Chancellor
Approval date: 15 October 2014
Review date: 01 March 2025