Do you know a University alumna or alumnus who’s achieving amazing things? Nominate them for a Distinguished Alumni Award. Nominations for 2020 close 30 June 2019.
The awards at a glance
The University of Auckland and the University of Auckland Society bestow the annual Distinguished Alumni Awards to honour alumni who have made outstanding contributions to their professions, their communities, and globally. Up to five awards are presented each year.
Additionally, a Young Alumnus/Alumna of the Year Award will be presented. Nominees should be 35 years of age or younger on the closing date of nominations, and have demonstrated outstanding achievement according to the Distinguished Alumni Awards criteria listed below.
What achievements are eligible?
There are no limits to the nature of a nominee’s achievements or contributions. However, the following areas will be specifically considered when selecting winners:
- Individuals should be nominated on the basis of their exceptional and sustained contribution to any or several aspects of the social, cultural, sporting, environmental, and economic well-being of the community.
- A condition of acceptance is that the nominee must be able to attend the Distinguished Alumni Awards dinner in person to receive the award.
Choosing the award winners
Recipients are selected by a special Distinguished Alumni Award Selection Panel appointed by the Vice-Chancellor, which includes up to three members of the University of Auckland Society.
Please note: A nominee who is not selected for an award in one year is still eligible for consideration in a subsequent year.
About the award ceremony
The recipients of the Distinguished Alumni Awards will be honoured at the annual Alumni dinner, usually held in early March at the Alumni Pavilion near Old Government House.
Distinguished Alumni Award winners will be presented with a silver medallion, while the Young Alumnus of the Year will be presented with a bronze medallion. These medals are designed by the eminent artist Professor Robert Ellis.
All successful nominees (and their partners) will be invited to attend the function.
The nominee must hold a degree or diploma from the University of Auckland.
At the time of the nomination the nominee should not be:
- An employee of the University
- A member of the University Council or Senate
- A member of the Distinguished Alumni Award Selection Panel of the University of Auckland
- A member of the University of Auckland Society’s Executive Committee
- A sitting politician
- A recipient of an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Auckland
The nomination process
Alumni of the University of Auckland are invited to submit nominations. Current or former staff and friends of the University are also invited to submit nominations at the discretion of the Distinguished Alumni Awards Selection Panel.
A nomination can also be made by an individual or a group. If more than one nomination is submitted by the same person or group, each submission must be made separately.
A nominator is to provide to the selection panel the name and a brief one-page curriculum vitae (CV) of the nominee. The CV should include the following:
- Nominee’s full name and address, including title
- Career affiliation or occupation
- Faculty affiliation
- Full list of academic qualifications with speciality (if known) and other universities
- Contributions and achievements that make the nominee eligible and deserving of selection for a Distinguished Alumni Award
Please note: The nomination submission should make it absolutely clear how the nominee has demonstrated exceptional contributions to their profession, community, country, or globally. The submission should also explain why these contributions are exceptional.
All nominations and information submitted, either online or direct to the Alumni Office, are confidential.
Nominators must respect the confidentiality process, and not advise the nominee of their submission to avoid any embarrassment should the nominee not be selected for an award.
Nominations for the 2020 Distinguished Alumni Awards can be made using our online nomination form below.
Please note: Nominations for 2020 close 30 June 2019.
Got any further questions? Get in touch
Additional enquiries should be directed to:
Karen Thompson | Associate Director, Communications and Alumni Relations
Alumni Relations and Development, The University of Auckland
Call: + 64 9 9233128 | Ext: 83128