Our foundation programmes have been specifically developed for international students and students whose first language is not English, to offer the best preparation for bachelors degree study.
Foundation programmes are taught on behalf of the University by the ACG Group and Taylors College (Auckland). Foundation study usually takes a year, although accelerated six month programmes are available to suitably qualified students. Foundation programmes are designed to develop skills in:
- The style of study at university
- Critical and independent thinking
- Computer use and research
- Essential subject knowledge. For example in accounting, calculus, chemistry, computer science, design, economics, English, geography, physics and statistics.
Students who successfully complete foundation studies will satisfy the minimum requirements for entry not only to The University of Auckland, but to all other New Zealand universities.
Entry to specific undergraduate degree programmes at The University of Auckland will depend on achieving:
- A set academic mark
- English language proficiency at a level equivalent to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of at least 6.0 overall (with no single band below 5.5), and
- Meeting any additional programme entry requirements for International Students, such as interviews, auditions or portfolios (current specific requirements by programme are detailed on the International Entry requirements page).
For further information on the requirements for admission into undergraduate degree programmes, see Entry requirements.
For more information, contact:
- Future undergraduates
- Future postgraduates
- Current students
- Welcome to our international students
- Welcome! Bienvenido! Herzlich Willkommen!
- Why choose The University of Auckland?
- Study options
- Study Abroad and Exchange
- Entry requirements
- How to apply
- Life at Auckland
- Tuition fees and costs
- Scholarships, loans and funding
- Career prospects
- Academic information
- International Prospectus
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Contact us
- Parents and family
- Alumni and friends
- Business, employers and community
- The media
- The University
- Programmes and courses
- Admission and enrolment
- Teaching and learning
- International Strategy
- Māori ki Tāmaki Makaurau | Māori at the University
- Pacific at the University
- Equity at the University | Te Ara Tautika
- Giving to Auckland
- Careers at Auckland
- News, events and notices
Faculties, institutes, campuses and library
- Faculty of Arts
- Business School
- National Institute of Creative Arts and Industries
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Liggins Institute
- Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- Libraries and Learning Services
- More information...