Workshops: New testers and retesters
These externally run courses are targeted at new and existing staff who need to attain or maintain the competency level needed to carry out in-service electrical appliance testing.
This includes all electrical appliances in use in departments, laboratories, workshops and offices owned or administered by the University of Auckland.
Training does not cover fixed wiring installations or hard-wired equipment e.g. light fittings, air conditioning units.
The course will cover the following standards set out by the University's Health, Safety and Wellbeing service:
- AS/NZS 3760: 2010 In-service Safety Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment Standard as cited in Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 Reprint 2019.
- The operation of this policy and its procedures
- The testing regime of a diverse range and use of electrical and electronic equipment or appliances in the University.
This course is for people who have no form of electrical testing qualifications and who want to be able to inspect and test electrical equipment at work.
This course is for people who:
- Have attended a similar course in the past five years and want to refresh their skills
- Hold some form or competency certificate on inspection and testing of electrical equipment as per AS/NZ 3760.
Timeframe for refresher training
The standard and the law do not specify a timeframe for refresher training.
However, it is strongly suggested that the following training guide be used to maintain proficiency:
- Following initial training, refresher training should occur within 12 months.
- There should be proficiency training every two years thereafter.
Metrotest Electrical Safety Testing NZ
- Stakeholder service
- Scholarship/Professional development
External provider. Departments are responsible for payment of external provider workshop fees.
Dates and times
This workshop can be booked directly with Metrotest NZ via their website or by calling 0800 638 768.
Look now: Metrotest
Last Updated: Dec 2019
Next Review: Dec 2022
Approver: Associate Director, Health Safety & Wellbeing