Injury management complaints and disputes

In regard to a work-related injury claim, there are formal and informal ways of raising a complaint or disputing a decision.

Complaints procedure

An injured worker can raise a concern or complaint when they believe their rights have been breached under the ACC Code of Claimants’ Rights. 

View now: Code of Claimants' rights.

Raise your concern

If you are an injured employee, you can raise your concern or issue with either your manager, assigned Health, Safety and Wellbeing Manager or WorkAon Case Manager.

You can also complain directly to ACC who will investigate and determine the action required to resolve the complaint.

Find out more: Health, Safety and Wellbeing and WorkAon contact details

Maintain a register

A register of concerns will record the nature of the concern and how and when it is resolved.

How long will it take?

Our aim is to resolve disputes wherever possible. When a concern is raised, it will be acknowledged within two working days. Following investigation, a decision regarding a concern should be communicated to the injured employee within seven working days.

Not satisfied with the result?

If you believe your concern has not been adequately addressed, you can raise it with the University's Complaints Manager.

The Complaints Manager will acknowledge the concern and investigate the matter. An outcome should be reached and communicated to you, if possible, within seven days.

Contact information

Andrew Phipps
University Complaints and Disputes Manager
Phone: +64 9 923 2734

Disputes, reviews and appeals

What is a dispute?

A dispute is the term given to any time an injured employee may be unhappy with a decision to decline work-related injury cover or decline specific entitlement.

Disputes procedure

Injured staff members are advised of their right to seek a review of any decisions made when informed verbally by a case manager and by letter.

The University wants to ensure that disputes are resolved quickly and with the agreement of all parties. Disputes are managed in the following ways:

  • A staff member may ask for a review of a claim decision, provided the request is made within three months of the University advising the staff member of their written decision on the claim.
  • Applications for review must be in writing. 
  • Staff members must also state their reasons for requesting a review.
  • In most cases a meeting between the injured person and the Health, Safety and Wellbeing manager will resolve the issue.
  • In some cases, a neutral facilitator may be used to assist the parties in working through the issues or alternatively the matter may be referred to an independent expert to provide an opinion on the issues.
  • If the dispute is not resolved by any of the above processes, WorkAon will send the application for review to either FairWay Resolution Services or Independent Complaints Review Service. 
    • The Accident Compensation Act 2001 provides for a formal review process using an independent reviewer appointed by ACC, who reassesses the decision and imposes an outcome on the parties.

Note: If you are attending a review hearing, you can choose to have a support person attend with you.

What happens if the University loses a claim decision?

Following a formal review, the disputes resolution contact person will:

  • Keep a record of the outcome
  • Will initiate an evaluation of the processes to identify opportunities for improvement.

Review procedures

The review procedures are found in the following manual. 

Privacy, consents and your rights

If you are an injured employee, additional information can be requested in relation to your claim.

Find out more: Privacy, consents and your rights.

Document Control
Version: 1.0
Last Updated: June 2020
Next Review: June 2022
Approver: Associate Director, Health Safety & Wellbeing