Haven't Got This?

We've got you.

If you feel like you have got to the point where you just 'Haven't Got This,' we are here for support and resources. No one needs to go through mental health and stress alone.

We understand that when studying at University, there is a lot on your plate and things can feel overwhelming. There are plenty of ways to help you keep on top of your wellbeing before you feel like you're at your breaking point, but if you are at the stage where you 'haven't got this', here are some places to start.

Support services

University Health and Counselling Services

University counselling services are provided free through your student services fee. They are fully qualified professionals, and your appointment is fully confidential. We provide short term counselling for students, any issues that are impacting their studies (e.g. life challenges, relationships, family, sexuality, depression, anxiety, stress, alcohol/drug issues.

If you are a staff member, check out our information on supporting distressed students

Faculty support

Within your faculty, there are information/student support service centres. Here you can make an appointment with a student support advisor who can help you manage academic issues, and refer you to other support services across campus. 

Student Learning Services

If you are worried about academic matters or you are having persistent study problems and would like assistance with all things learning, then contact Student Learning Services to see what they have to offer. 


The AUSA student advocates can provide a listening ear, help you put a plan in place of where to go next, assist if you are having financial problems, or assist if there is a problem related to discrimination or harassment. 


The Chaplain can provide a listening ear, guidance and also advocacy for students on campus. The Chaplain represents and fosters Christian spirituality, whilst working alongside other faiths. 

How do you know when someone 'hasn't got this?'

Here are some ways to identify that someone needs help:

  • Tense/ Irritable, Sad/Tearful or Panicky
  • Withdrawn or very quiet
  • Poor concentration
  • Very loud/disinhibited
  • Talking incoherently
  • Smelling of alcohol or cannabis
  • Significant change in appearance (e.g. weight, decline in personal hygiene)
  • Behaviours may have changed (e.g. staying in bed all day, work handed in late, not attending classes, avoiding socialising).

So what do you do next? Try some of these resources. 

  • Sometimes the first step can be to ask someone if they are okay. R U OK? can help you make sure you are prepared to approach a friend in need.
  • Mental Health Foundation of NZ has many resources on how to get help for someone you are worried about.
  • If you are a staff member and notice a distressed student, but aren't too sure how to approach the situation we have resources to help you be ready in any situation.