How to report a sexual assault incident

This page provides information on where to find help if you or someone you know is sexually assaulted.


If you feel threatened or are in immediate danger, please call Emergency Services on 111 or Campus Security on 0800 373 7550.

Making a disclosure is your choice, but we are here to help you and guide you

We want you to know that at the University of Auckland your wellbeing and health is very important to us – your disclosure will be taken seriously, and our aim is to ensure you receive the support and care you need to make a decision that is best for you. The information on this page is to help you choose which pathway works best for you.

What to do if you are sexually assaulted or experience harmful sexual behaviour

If the sexual assault has just happened:

  • Make sure you are now safe
  • Get support from a friend, flat mate, or family member
  • Go to the Hospital Emergency Department. Your physical health takes precedence over forensic work. The hospital can assist you to call the Police if you want them to.

It is recommended that you:

  • Do NOT shower, bathe, wash clothes, or eat and drink (if there has been oral contact with saliva or semen) until you make a decision about involving the Police because you will be destroying forensic evidence.
  • Collect any urine you pass – any container will do – and note the time. Put it in the fridge or freezer. This is really important, if you think you may have been drugged.

Seek professional help as below. These services are FREE and are available 24/7.

Reporting options:

University of Auckland students have a number of options if they choose to disclose or report harmful sexual behaviour. You can decide which of the reporting options you wish to follow, if any.   

  1. Make a disclosure – tell the university about the incident to keep a record of but not take any formal action.
  2. Make a complaint – make a complaint about harmful sexual behaviour.
  3. Make a report on behalf of someone – if you receive a disclosure of sexual harm, you can report on behalf of someone provided you have their consent. 
  4. Make a police report – reporting to the University and reporting to the Police are two separate processes. If you need help, the University can assist you in making a report to the Police.

Find out specific information on the complaint process and how you can make a report from the Addressing Bullying Harassment and Discrimination Guidelines. Reports can be made anonymously. 

If you wish to report directly to the Police: 

The Police have specialised sexual assault teams that will talk you through the process of what happens next. If the sexual assault has just happened, you can call 111 – or you can go to a Police station. It is recommended that if you are going to a Police station you ring first and ask that someone from the sexual assault team be there to meet you.

If you report directly to the Police, they will assist in:

  • Organising a forensic medical examination by a trained doctor.
  • They will recommend that you involve one of the sexual assault services listed above to act as an advocate and support person for you throughout the process.
  • Involving the Police and having a forensic medical does not mean you have to commit to proceeding with the complaint and going to court.
  • The Police Forensic Examiner will also care for you in the following ways:
    • Arrange emergency contraception
    • Give medications to prevent STI (sexually transmitted infections)
    • Arrange medical follow-up
    • Arrange ongoing counselling (which is free).

If you have witnessed a sexual assault on one of our campuses:    

  • Everyone is asked to assist in making our University a safe place by being alert to suspicious situations and promptly reporting them.  
  • If the person is harmed or an incident is in progress, contact the police on 111 immediately. Once you have contacted the police, contact University Security to report the incident (ext: 966 or phone: 0800 373 7550 if calling from a mobile phone).  
  • Stay with the person who has experienced the harm, providing comfort and support until the police or University Security arrive.    

If you are an international student please note:   

  • Making a report of harmful sexual behaviour will not impact your visa.  
  • Any information you provide will not be passed on to your family or other universities unless you request that this information can be shared.  
  • We can provide a translator at your request.