Counselling services

Find out about the counselling services we provide at University Health and Counselling.

All services are only available to students residing in New Zealand. We are unable to provide counselling to anyone outside of the country either as domestic or international students.

We offer several different ways for on-shore students to get support. Check out the links below for further information.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have cold or flu like symptoms you will need to request a virtual session, contact us on 0800 358 5453.


Here at University Health and Counselling we provide short-term counselling support for students, for any issues that are impacting on their studies (e.g. life challenges, relationships, family, sexuality, depression, anxiety, stress, alcohol/drug issues).

Often two to three sessions is enough to help to manage things better and get back on track but if you need more sessions, we can discuss this with you and work together to develop a plan or offer referrals if appropriate.

In order to best fit your needs, we ask you to complete the questionnaire below. All information you provide will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.

Complete the questionnaire.

Note: The questionnaire will only display for enrolled students. 

Alcohol and Drug (AOD) Clinician

UHCS offers bookings with our Alcohol and Drug (AOD) Clinician, Niamh Pritchard.

Niamh is a Registered Nurse by background and she offers a safe space for students who just want to learn more or explore personal problems related to binge- drinking, peer pressure and drug experimentation

She can assist in supporting students to self-assess the perceived ‘severity’ of their alcohol and drug use, its impact on their wellbeing and potential areas for developing coping strategies other than alcohol or drug use.

She is committed to providing support that is non-judgemental, non-punitive and focuses on reducing harm and improving wellbeing and incorporating cultural values and identity.

Māori Psychologist

UHCS offers the service of a dedicated Māori Psychologist to all tangata whai ora. The service is confidential.

The service is committed to providing a culturally affirming service, utilising resources available specifically for Māori, and referring clients to kaupapa Māori treatment services if needed.

In this role, Michael Smith (Ngāti Whātua) is available to any student enrolled at UHCS.

Puāwaitanga Counselling between 9am – 9pm, Seven days a week

Get support with feelings of anxiety, low mood, relationships, grief, addictions, low self-esteem or low confidence.

  • A phone and online support service to help strengthen your hauora | wellbeing.
  • Counselling sessions are held over the phone and using a web-based program.
  • Sessions can be held anytime between 9am - 9pm, seven days a week.
  • The service is independent, confidential and free.

To enrol, call 0800 782 999 or click the button below.

Please note: you will be asked for your student ID number to confirm you are an enrolled student.

UniWellbeing eTherapy Programme

The UniWellbeing programme is an online course for students experiencing mild to severe worry, stress, anxiety, low mood or depression. The programme has been developed by the eCentreClinic at Macquarie University, Sydney Australia, and the Health and Counselling Service are running a clinical trial of the programme throughout 2019.

The course is five weeks long and new courses start every three weeks. Students are contacted every week by one of the counselling team, and complete questionnaires before, during and after the course, then again after three months.

You can do the course if you:

  • Are a student of the University of Auckland
  • Experience mild to severe worry, stress, anxiety, low mood or depression
  • Want to learn skills to help, and can spend 20 minutes a day practicing
  • Are not at risk of suicide or self-harm (if you do feel at risk please complete our counselling questionnaire on this page. If you feel unsafe now please call 0800 800 717 or 111).

If you are interested in the course please email us on One of our team will be in touch to talk about the programme with you.

Academic appointments

We are here to provide assistance when you need help with applying for assignment extensions, applying for compassionate consideration for tests or exams, or if you have any queries about late deletions.

To make an appointment, please contact reception on the number below.
Please note that you do not need to complete the online questionnaire to access academic appointments.

Phone: 0800 698 427 - 0800 MY UHCS

Walk in appointments

If you are needing to speak to us urgently we hold some spaces for walk in appointments.

We will ensure that a counsellor, or other clinician, is able to speak to you or book you in for the next day. Please let reception know if this applies to you.

Our criteria for urgent on the day appointments are:

  • Concern about possibility of suicide or serious harm to self or someone else
  • Recent rape or assault or harassment
  • Witness to a traumatic event

Call 0800 698 427 | 0800 MY UHCS to check availability for an urgent on the day appointment.

Immediate Risk

For an emergency that is happening right now dial 111, or, to discuss your own or someone else's safety or acute mental health crisis, phone the Mental Health Crisis Line on 0800 800 717 (24 hrs).


Attending an appointment

You must bring your student ID card to all appointments – this is a safety requirement. A lot of our services are free to domestic students and for international students who have the right insurance plan.

Changing or missing appointments:

We require 24 hours notice of a change or cancellation of an appointment. If we do not receive notice, you will be charged a fee.

We do this to ensure that we have time to fill cancelled slots with students who may require our help and resources.

To change or cancel an appointment, call 0800 698 427 - 0800 MY UHCS

Frequently asked questions about counselling

What is counselling?

Counselling enables you to explore issues that are causing you concern and affecting your university studies. Together with the counsellor or psychologist, you can clarify goals and develop new skills, insights and strategies to deal with the difficulties that you are currently facing. Counselling draws on your existing strengths and knowledge of what works for you, as well as offering a fresh perspective, as appropriate.

Is it a confidential service?

Counselling is confidential. The only situation when counsellors may break confidentiality is when your safety or someone else’s safety is seriously at risk. If this was the case, it would be discussed with you first.

All counsellors are required to attend professional supervision. During supervision the content of counselling sessions may be discussed, but this is done without revealing your identity.

Can my parents find out I’m coming to counselling?

The University Health and Counselling Service is bound by professional ethics which prevent us giving any information about who is attending the counselling service. This includes parents. If parents do ring us in regard to their child, we explain that although we appreciate their concern, we are unable to give them any information without your permission.

What happens to my notes?

Notes are kept on a computerised system that has limited access rights. Only those staff involved in your care or support have access to any notes and all UHCS staff are bound by the confidentiality agreement and comply with the Health Information Privacy Code.

Do you offer couple counselling?

We are able to see couples when both people in the relationship are students. If your partner is not a student, we can suggest skilled couple counsellors who practice privately in the community or counsellors who provide counselling through the Family Court.

What if I can't make or need to change an appointment?

If you can't make or need to change an appointment, you need to let us know as soon as possible.

You can cancel your appointment in person or by phone with 24 hour notice, if it is less than 24 hours notice a $10 fee will be charged.

To cancel appointments at all health clinics and counselling sessions, call University Health and Counselling. Phone: 0800 698 427 | 0800 MY UHCS.

Can I bring someone with me?

Yes, you are welcome to bring a support person along with you for the initial counselling session.