Why enrol in University Health and Counselling

Comprehensive community health care

General practice provides comprehensive community-based, and continuing patient-centred health care to patients enrolled with them. This is called primary care.

General practice services include the diagnosis, management and treatment of health conditions, continuity of health care, health promotion, prevention, screening, and referral to hospital and specialists. Most general practice providers work with a PHO.

The fund-holding role of PHOs allows an extended range of services to be provided across all the providers within a PHO.

Numerous Benefits

Enrolling is free and voluntary. Advantages of enrolling are that your visits to the doctor will be cheaper and you will have direct access to a range of services linked to the PHO.

How to enrol

Register the University Health and Counselling Service as your General Practice. 

Enrol via the online form below.

Once your form has been processed and you're officially enrolled, you can have your free new patient appointment with a nurse before seeing a doctor. 

You can book an appointment via 0800 698 427. We recommend doing this as soon as possible.



  • Enrolment is only available to those who are New Zealand permanent residents or citizens, and those who are considered "domestic students". To enrol with University Health and Counselling, you must be a current student at the University.
  • To enable a safe transfer of care of patients, UHCS allows a small grace period for ex-students to transition to a new health care provider. It is important that once you are no longer a student, you enrol to a alternative health care provider in the community as soon as you can.
  • If the person has re-enrolled in a course of study at the University, their details will remain on the system, and they will continue to be an enrolled patient in UHCS.

For more information about PHO enrolment, visit Procare.

Please note that once you stop being a student it is up to you to find an alternative medical centre as soon as possible. 

If you are an international student

  • If you have an insurance policy with our preferred insurer Allianz, we will look after all the paperwork for you. In some cases, some services may not be covered by your insurance but we will let you know about this or any other extra costs that you might need to pay for.
  • If you have an insurance policy with another insurance provider, you will need to pay for your visit and then liaise with your insurer so that you can be reimbursed for the cost.
  • You should use the enrolment form to register with us. While you will not be eligible for funded healthcare in New Zealand, if you have studentsafe insurance via Allianz this will cover the cost of most of your medical appointments with us.