Here you’ll find important information for graduands.
University of Auckland postpones May Graduation
Following recent advice from the NZ Government on large public gatherings, the University of Auckland has regrettably decided not to proceed with the May Graduation ceremonies. More ceremonies will be added to the Spring Graduations in September instead.
For more information on what to do if you were intending on graduating in the May ceremonies, please see Autumn 2020 Graduation postponed.
If you have any enquiries, please email email@example.com.
Confirmation of Application to Graduate
- If you have successfully applied to graduate (either in person on in absentia) you will receive a confirmation email within 1-2 working days.
- A final confirmation email; which includes ceremony details, regalia and ticketing information, will be sent to your student university email shortly after applications to graduate have closed.
- If you or your guests need to make any flight bookings or travel arrangements, we strongly advise doing this only after you have received a confirmation email.
The following scholarships are recognised at graduation.
The University of Auckland scholarships
- Māori and Pacific Graduate
- Senior Scholar
- Woolf Fisher
- Bright Future Top Achiever Doctoral
The scholarship must be based on the degree in which you are graduating and must have been accepted by you through the University by the application closing date.
Guest tickets and seating
- If you choose to be an ‘in person graduand’, you can request guest tickets on your graduation application form (note that graduands do not require a ticket).
- The ceremony venue can accommodate three guests per in person graduand.
- We will guarantee orders of up to three tickets for your ceremony if you request them before the application closing date.
If you need special seating arrangements due to disability, or need a place for a wheelchair, email the Graduation Office as soon as possible but no later than two weeks before graduation.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Your Student ID number
- The qualification with which you will be graduating
- The details of your special requirements
We’ll contact you approximately two weeks before your ceremony to confirm arrangements.
Owing a debt to the University
If you have any outstanding fees or fines, you can still apply to graduate but your certificate may be withheld. Please note, an outstanding debt may prevent you from meeting the requirements of your programme.
Once the debt is paid, the hold will be removed from your account, and your certificate will be made available.
On graduation day the formalities start with a street procession from the University to the Aotea Centre. There are three processions in Autumn graduation and one in Spring.
Assemble for the street procession at 9am in the University of Auckland Pavilion, on Old Government House grounds.
The procession will exit the Pavilion at 9.30am sharp, and process towards Aotea Square via Queen Street. Graduands in ceremonies starting later in the day may report directly to the Aotea Centre at their appointed time, but are encouraged to participate in the procession on their graduation day.
For more information about procession protocol and a route map please see the 'information for graduands' ebook which is provided via email to all graduating students approx. 4-5 weeks before the event.
In the unlikely event that the procession from the University is cancelled, graduands in the Pavilion will be informed and asked to make their own way to the Aotea Centre. Notice will also be available through the Student Contact Centre, 0800 61 62 63, and on Facebook.