Creative Items category
How to enter the Creative item category of the SGS Research Showcase.
How to enter
The ultimate expression of creativity! Create a single physical item that represents your research. This could be something you create at home, in the lab or studio, or using the beginner-friendly, state-of-the-art technology available at Unleash Space.
Submit a photograph of the item (with a description of how it represents your research) using the electronic form by Monday 20 September 2021. You will be invited to display the physical item in the showcase exhibition if your submission is shortlisted.
The creative item entry will be assessed with the following criteria:
- Effectively communicates the research
- Shows imaginative use of materials and ideas
- Appeals to and engages the audience
Training and resources
If you're looking for inspiration, materials or a new cool way to create, check out Unleash Space's state-of-the-art innovation hub, Maker Space.
Their equipment includes:
- 3D printer
- Laser cutter
- Soldering station
- Vinyl cutter
- Sewing machines
In this workshop, you will be guided through a series of short and fun activities to help you redefine your own creative capacity. We will explore how, with your knowledge base, creativity can allow you to shake up the normal way of research and present your ideas in a unique way that captures your audience.
$300 Westfield voucher
$100 Westfield voucher
People’s Choice Award
$100 Westfield voucher
Thank you to Unleash Space, who will sponsor additional prizes for this category.
Terms and Conditions
- Entry is open to eligible doctoral candidates and research masters (90 points or over) students.
- One entry per person per category only is allowed.
- To enter, an entry form should be submitted. An image of the item, item title and descriptions must be submitted by the deadline.
- Shortlisted items must be dropped off to the Unleash Space by the given deadline.
- Shortlisted items will be on display and judged during the showcase week.
- Items must be a size appropriate for a table top display.
- Items must not include any harmful or dangerous substances.
- All entrants must ensure that they are the original creator of the item.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- By submitting an entry, applicants consent to UoA using images for promotional purposes to publicise your, and/or the university’s research. Ownership of the image and item will remain with the entrant.
- If required, images of the item will be displayed online on Figshare. A selection of shortlisted physical items will be displayed on campus at the showcase event.
- School of Graduate Studies reserves the right to review the item and ask entrants to modify the item to ensure it meets University of Auckland health and safety policy, research ethics guidelines and equity policy, or to preserve the entrant’s intellectual property rights.
Enter the Creative Items category
Once you've read the Terms and Conditions, you're ready to enter your work to the Showcase.