Top Tips for SRB, including faculty contacts
Resources and forms of support for students from refugee backgrounds, including faculty contacts.
- There are various providers of English Language Support on campus.
- Or find out about academic and learning support.
- There are also number of scholarships for students from refugee backgrounds.
- The Equity Policy highlights the University’s commitment to being safe, inclusive and equitable.
- Prayer rooms and chapels are among types of University spiritual support.
- The University’s Equity Office – Te Ara Tautika is here to help. The Office is committed to ensure the University is safe, inclusive and equitable. See Equity at the University.
- Having difficulties with the dates for course work or exams? Speak to your Faculty, AUSA Advocacy, or check out the Examination Office website.
- University Health and Counselling is there for any health, medical or counselling needs.
- AUSA can help and support on multiple fronts – including a finding a buddy, obtaining grants for food parcels and childcare, and advocacy services.
- If you need a document certified contact a Justice of the Peace.
- If you have visible or invisible impairments, you can get support from Student Disability Services
- Learn about support for LGBTQITakatāpui+ (Rainbow Students).
Faculty contacts for students from refugee backgrounds
If you are a student from a refugee background and would like to discuss
how the University can support you with your faculty, please get in touch with the relevant faculty contacts.*
|Faculty/LSRI||Who to contact|
|Arts||Nancy (Lanqi) Gao, Student Support Advisor
Jagir Hussan, Research Fellow
|Business and Economics||Melissa Valnegri, Programmes Advisor
|Creative Arts and Industries||Alaina Muriwai-Te Rore, Student Support and Experience Advisor
|Education and Social Work||Denise McKay, Student Academic Engagement
|Engineering||Quang Le, Student Support Advisor
|Law||Professor Caroline Foster
|Liggins||Jen Rogers, Equity Committee chair
|Medical and Health Sciences||Daniel Heke, Student Support Advisor
|Science||Erica Farrelly, Student Support Advisor
* While we update this information regularly, at times, details may be out-of-date. If you have found it difficult to contact the relevant faculty adviser, please let the Equity Office - Te Ara Tautika know: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students from Refugee Backgrounds (SRB) Advisory Board – with student representation. This group meets quarterly. At this meeting, staff from the Equity Office Te Ara Tautika provide updates to, and seek advice from, students from refugee backgrounds, researchers in the area, faculty equity representatives and staff from Refugees as Survivors.