Translation of documents for admissions

If you’re applying for the University of Auckland and your documents are in a language other than English, you will need to get your documents translated into English.  

Why do my documents need to be translated?

Your documents will need to be translated because the University of Auckland is an English-medium university. This means we cannot evaluate documents which are in languages other than English.

If your document is already in English, you can just submit this document.

What are the typical documents I need to get translated?

If you’re asked to provide them, the usual documents you need to have translated are:

  • Official academic transcripts
  • Secondary school transcripts
  • Certificates from completed qualifications
  • Police reports or vetting

Please note, if you have multiple documents, like transcripts, from more than one place of study, you will have to get all the documents translated and submitted to the University.

If I need to provide translations of my documents, what do I need to do?

If you need to provide translations of your documents, you will need to:

  • Get your document translated and certified by an acceptable translation service
  • Provide both the original document and the English translation
  • Combine all documents into a single pdf file
  • Upload document into your application portal. 

To access your application portal, please see Continue your application.

Please note, a certified hard copy of these documents may be required. If this is the case, we will get in touch with you directly.

What is an acceptable translation service?

If you’re currently in New Zealand, you can find an approved translator by visiting the New Zealand Society of Translator and Interpreter’s website.

If you’re outside of New Zealand, an acceptable translation service is usually authorised by:

  • A national, professional organisation
  • An approved translation service by a government body in your home country

What if I cannot get my document translated?

If you are unable to get your documents translated, please let us know:

  • The admission document you cannot get translated
  • Why you cannot get it translated

To let us know, you can email the Admissions Office.