Foundation programmes for international students
These have been specifically developed for international students and students whose first language is not English, to offer the best preparation for bachelor degree study.
Foundation programmes are taught on behalf of the University by ACG (Academic Colleges Group) and Taylors College. Foundation study usually takes a year, although accelerated 8-month programmes are available to qualified students.
- ACG - The University of Auckland Certificate in Foundation Studies
- Taylors College - Auckland Foundation Year
Foundation programmes are designed not only to prepare students for University education, but also to develop skills in:
- Critical and independent thinking.
- Computer use and research.
- Essential subject knowledge, for example in accounting, calculus, chemistry, computer science, design, economics, English, geography, physics and statistics.
After completing your programme, you can gain guaranteed entry into University of Auckland undergraduate degree programmes, if you meet the following requirements:
- The minimum overall foundation course average score for the relevant undergraduate degree programme.
- English language proficiency at a level equivalent to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of at least 6.0 overall (with no band below 5.5). Note that some programmes may require higher scores.
- Meeting any additional programme entry requirements such as interviews, auditions or portfolios.
For detailed information on the requirements for admission into undergraduate degree programmes, see Entry requirements.