Doctoral study in Media, Film and Television
Why study with us?
We were placed in the top 100 in the world for Communications and Media Studies in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020.
As a doctoral candidate, you'll benefit from financial support for research expenses through PReSS funding, high-calibre supervision practices, and the networks and expertise of our world-class academic researchers.
You can pursue PhD research in areas such as:
- Film studies
- Documentary studies
- Feminist film theory
- Experimental film and the avant garde
- Social media
- Digital media
- Sports and media
- Television journalism
- Hollywood film
- South Asian popular culture
- Pacific moving imagery
- Film, television and cultural theory
- New Zealand cinema
- Chinese cinema
- South Asian film
- Diaspora media
Solid PhD research proposals in other areas may also be considered.
The research interest of our staff are broad and multifaceted. We are also a leader in creative forms of work including film and television production and scriptwriting. This is enhanced by our substantial links to major practitioners in the media industries in New Zealand, many of which are based in Auckland.
Past research topics
- "#HashingItOut: Participatory mediation in social news spaces" | Supervised by Associate Professor Luke Goode
- "Egyptian cinema and the 2011 revolution" | Supervised by Associate Professor Nabeel Zuberi and Professor Laurence Simmons
- "Exquisite corpses: Narrative emergence in multiplayer zombie video games" | Supervised by Dr Allan Cameron and Dr Neal Curtis
- "Screening composite mediascapes: Materiality and mediatised space in contemporary cinema" | Supervised by Dr Allan Cameron and Dr Misha Kavka
- "Body politics: War and nationalism in the post-9/11 American splatter film" | Supervised by Professor Duncan Petrie, Professor Laurence Simmons and Associate Professor Nabeel Zuberi
- "Entertaining facts: what the news media do with expert information about environmental risks" | Supervised by Associate Professor Luke Goode
Scholarships and awards
There are several scholarships you may be eligible for when you decide to pursue your PhD in Media, Film and Television:
Help and advice
Our friendly staff will provide you with advice on enrolling in your PhD at Student Hubs.
If you would like to discuss your plans for your doctoral research you can contact our PhD Adviser.