Postgraduate study in Operations Research
What can you study in Operations Research?
You will familiarise yourself with theory and methodology in your postgraduate programme. Topics such as optimisation under uncertainty, and network design and simulation are common.
The broad, interdisciplinary nature of operations research makes it a field with extensive variety – it is utilised in many industries, with many opportunities arising continuously for new applications. As a postgraduate student, your main challenge may involve finding new areas or aspects for you to contribute to.
Some of the projects we have undertaken include:
- Delivery and policy analysis for the healthcare industry
- Optimising transportation systems, including airlines and yachts
- Route simulation and optimisation for emergency vehicles
- Electricity and telecommunications network design
Entry requirements for Postgraduate study in Operations Research
Important requirements for international students
- All international applicants should ensure that they meet all the programme’s entry requirements. You should only proceed with your application if your GPA matches or exceeds the requirements for your country listed in the engineering programme of your choice. Please do not apply if your GPA is below the minimum entry requirements, but consider the alternative study options that may be offered as a pathway into your preferred programme.
- You are strongly advised to consider visa application times. Please be aware of the student visa processing times in your home economy and submit the documentation needed well ahead of the Faculty of Engineering's programme application deadlines. For processing times, contact the New Zealand High Commission/Embassy or your education agent.
- Applicants applying for their second masters degree need to be aware that additional assessment requirements will take extra time. The Faculty of Engineering is required to assess your previous masters degree courses to ensure that they do not overlap with your selected courses in the University of Auckland programme that you have expressed interest in. You must therefore allow more time for your application to be processed, and be aware that further documentations may be required. Submit your application well in advance of the deadline if this is your situation, as you may also need to take into account visa application times.
Scholarships and awards
Help and advice
For general student enquiries, please contact the Engineering Student Centre.
If you would like to find out more about studying Operations Research, you can contact a Postgraduate Adviser.