Undergraduate study in Population Health

Learn about your undergraduate study options for Population Health.

What can you study in Population Health?

Are you interested in addressing issues that affect society, such as addiction, poverty and abuse? Do you relish the idea of advocacy and developing policy to help create positive societal outcomes for issues?

If that sounds like you, Population Health may be the perfect path.

You can study Population Health in the Bachelor of Health Sciences. In this programme you learn about:

  • Health Promotion
  • Mental Health and Addictions
  • Health Systems
  • Population Health Nutrition
  • Health Information and Analysis 
  • Research

Graduates gain an internationally accepted qualification, excellent research skills and the knowledge to work within some of the world’s most rapidly advancing scientific fields.

You can also learn about Population Health in the Hikitia Te Ora – Certificate in Health Sciences. It is a one-year foundation programme aimed at bridging Māori and Pacific students from secondary school study, or from the community, into programmes such as the Bachelor of Health Sciences.

Where can undergraduate study in Population Health take you?

Population Health is an area of study that involves investigating, developing, testing, examining and exploring ideas related to disease and health inequalities. These skills can all be applied to the workforce, and population Health offers a range of career opportunities.

Jobs related to Population Health

  • Epidemiology
  • Bio statistics
  • Audiology
  • General Practice
  • Primary Health Care
  • Pacific Health
  • Social and Community Health
  • Asian and Ethnic Minority Health Research
  • Longitudinal research
  • Health innovation
  • Immunisation advice

Scholarships and awards

Find out about the Māori and Pacific Admission scheme to help you apply for programmes and scholarships related to the Hikitia Te Ora-Certificate in Health Sciences (CertHSc).

Help and advice

For further assistance please contact Student Hubs.