Doctoral study in Speech Science
Why study with us?
New Zealand’s leading and largest Faculty of Science* brings together 10 diverse schools and departments to provide outstanding quality teaching and research opportunities. Our doctoral students work with some of the nation’s leading researchers and benefit from the faculty’s connections with international universities and industry. You will also have access to high-quality laboratory and field research facilities.
We welcome PhD proposals in areas including:
- Auditory processing disorders
- Speech and language development in monolingual and bilingual children
- Swallowing disorders and acquired communication disorders in adults
- Language processing in people with aphasia after a stroke
- The psychosocial impacts of living with aphasia
- Communication disorders in adults and children
- Electrophysiological assessment of auditory function
- Hearing loss & speech discrimination
- Cochlear implants
- Choral singing therapy for people with neurological disease (aphasia & Parkinson’s disease)
- Perception & production of speech prosody
- Sensory processing in mild cognitive impairment
Many of our knowledgeable scientists are major contributors in their field.
(and search for relevant topics)
See a selection of past and present research topics:
- Home based Applied Behaviour Analysis interventions for children who are difficult to transition from tube-feeding | supervised by Bianca Jackson
- Language processing in people with aphasia after a stroke | supervised by Clare McCann
- Telehealth services in the Maldives | supervised by Linda Hand and Anna Miles
- Understanding the effects of ageing on swallowing and function | Anna Miles
- Bilingualism in children in Auckland | supervised by Elaine Ballard
- Speech profile of school-age children with hearing loss in comparison to children with normal hearing in New Zealand | supervised by Suzanne Purdy
For more information about PhD theses and topics you may be interested in, or supervisors and their past research, please use the search function on the Libraries and Learning Services catalogue.
Scholarships and awards
See our University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship page for scholarship opportunities. Or search our database for scholarships that may be available.
Help and advice
Please see our Doctoral students section for further information, advice and contact information.