Rankings and reputation
Our 10 schools and departments provide outstanding quality teaching and diverse research opportunities.
QS World University Rankings
The QS World University Rankings is an annual publication that ranks the world’s universities and their subjects of study according to six different values:
- Academic reputation
- Employer reputation
- Faculty/student ratio
- Citations per faculty
- International faculty ratio
- International student ratio
Out of 1000 universities worldwide the University of Auckland ranks =68th overall, making it the highest ranked university in the country.
QS World University Rankings By Subject 2023
Subject area rankings
Subjects ranked in the top 50
- Anthropology (#47)
- Archaeology (#46)
- Geography (#43)
- Psychology (#42)
- Sports-related subjects (which includes Exercise Sciences) (#32)
Subjects ranked in the top 100
Ranked 1st nationally, 2023
- Natural Science
- Social Sciences and Management
- Life Sciences and Medicine
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Material Sciences
- Physics and Astronomy
- Statistics and Operational Research
QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022
The University of Auckland ranks =68th overall for employability and 1st in New Zealand.
Teaching and learning
The Faculty of Science has 9,003* students.
- 1,699.38 (18.88%) are international students.
- 7,190.27 are undergraduate students*
- 1,004.52 are postgraduate taught students*
- 807.77 are postgraduate research students (masters and PhD students)*
- 2,231 PhD completions (headcount)
*EFTS – equivalent full-time students, correct as of 31 December 2022