DRAMA 100G Presentation and Performance: Taking the Stage
DRAMA 100G | Open | Semester One 2021 | City Campus | 15 points
Theatrical performance requires dynamic presence, effective communication and creative thinking. This course is focused on enhancing oral communication and performance skills through interactive workshops with speakers and performers highlighting the transferable skills of acting in three main areas: public speaking, improvising and group-devised performance.
Our course aims are to guide you to:
- Understand the principles of effective public speaking
- Improve your confidence in public performance
- Develop and demonstrate the vocal and physical skills that underlie effective performance
- Develop the skills to work effectively in a team
- Create a dynamic, original presentation
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Use the vocal and physical skills you have learned to deliver an effective oral presentation
- Apply acting techniques to develop stage presence and listening skills
- Apply improvisation and devising techniques to develop dynamic and creative group presentations
- The paper is divided into two key modules:
- Public speaking
- Both modules include instruction in acting and performance techniques
Class limits for 2021
Enrolment is limited to 225 students. First priority: students with a 240 point COMMS specialisation. Second priority: students with a DRAMA major. Third priority: students with a 120 point COMMS major. Fourth priority: all other students.
'I appreciated the practical and very physical workshop classes a lot. It was a safe and fun environment to develop my skills in.'
'I really enjoyed the friendly, relaxed state of the workshops, a sense of togetherness and community; I think it helped shy people (including myself) to be able to present a good speech.'
'This course fosters a whanau–like atmosphere. Learning is easy when you feel as comfortable and open as we were made to feel with each other.'
'I found all the content we covered very interesting. The teachers all seemed very into what they were teaching, also the students seemed into it too, which isn't always the case in other courses. Overall, the environment helped my learning as did my tutor who was very approachable if we had questions.'
'It was cool to meet and connect with people in the workshops, and my tutor was amazing!'
'The weekly workshops with a smaller number of students were brilliant. Highly engaging activities, that forced us to use and develop a variety of skills and techniques, and to form close connections with our fellow class members.'
'There were some really good readings available as well as videos which really helped me learn more about particular concepts and be creative. Having guest speakers in and having a speech workshop during lecture time was also very useful.'
'During the workshops I learned the most in terms of practical theatrics, while the lectures exposed me to many different aspects of the world of drama.'
'The feedback given was very helpful and was not simply criticism.'