ENGLISH 121G Reading/Writing/Text
ENGLISH 121G | Open | Summer School, Semester One & Two 2022 | 15 points
City Campus: all semesters
Epsom Campus, South Auckland Campus & Tai Tokerau Campus: Semester One
English121/121G "Reading/Writing/Text" assists students in improving their essay writing and builds upon their existing ability. Weekly readings, textual analysis, critical thinking, and essay writing are central to this course. Successfully structuring and writing an academic essay is our focus.
English121/121G "Reading/Writing/Text" focuses on the craft of academic writing. Copious reading, textual analysis, critical thinking, and essay writing are central to this course. Helping you to successfully write an academic essay while critically engaging with a range of texts is our focus. We also encourage you to think about different ways to approach essay writing and explore the relationship between reading and improved writing.
We also teach:
- Sentence-structure and paragraphs
- Rhetorical techniques for writing.
- Planning and structuring an essay
- Basic research
- How to manage referencing and citations.
Questions of authorship, originality, plagiarism, and how to follow the conventions of academic writing arise over the semester.
Please note that this is not a language course or an ESOL course. It is also not a literacy course.
All texts and resources are available on Canvas' reading list.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the purpose of a text, its audience, and its central interest/argument.
- Read and respond to academic and non-academic texts that deal with a range of topics.
- Draft, proof-read and edit your writing.
- Cite and reference primary and secondary material.
- Evaluate and edit the work of others using constructive, informed feedback.