GENDER 101G Global and Local
GENDER 101G | Open | Semester One 2023 | City Campus | 15 points
Develops an understanding of key concepts that underlie gender analysis, and how they are expressed in politics, culture and society. Examines the meaning of gender across a range of subjects and issues on the global stage and in our everyday lives.
Restriction: GENDER 100
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Be familiar with the fundamental concepts of gender analysis: the sex/gender distinction, the identity/difference binary, the social construction of masculinity and femininity, and the relationship between gender and sexuality.
- Understand the significance of these core concepts in the social, political and cultural worlds.
- Understand how the study of gender contributes to other academic fields, particularly in the social sciences and humanities.
- Analyse written and media text that deal with gender, and be able to present your analysis in writing.
- Reflect critically upon your own views and experiences of gender, to present your views to others, and to engage in constructive discussion about them.