SCIGEN 101G Communicating in a Knowledge Society
SCIGEN 101G | Open | Semester One & Two 2022 | City Campus | 15 points
Effective communication is required for specialists in all fields to engage meaningfully with society. In this course students gain an understanding of the important role communication plays in a knowledge society. Through case studies and practical experience students learn about the responsibilities and skills required to communicate with a variety of audiences. They learn how to effectively manage and present data and practice oral, written, visual and electronic communication.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the relationship between research, scholarship, knowledge, and society.
- Understand and critically evaluate models of communication and trends in how knowledge specialists communicate within society.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how research is communicated via academic journals and at conferences.
- Access interpret, synthesise, and effectively communicate academic research to a diverse audience.
- Demonstrate an understanding of effective communication of data, including the use of mathematical models, relationships, and statistical evidence.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate specialist disciplinary knowledge using oral, written, visual, and non-verbal communication skills.
- Understand the role of peer review in the communication of knowledge and demonstrate collaborative learning and networking skills in peer networks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of complexity and engage in a dialogue session dealing with a complex real-world issue.
- Critically examine the communication challenges faced by knowledge specialists when communicating with society.
'One of the best papers I have taken because of the variety and different types of assignments and information given. The assignments were types I haven't done before at uni and it made the course more interesting.'
'This course was really well organised in terms of content and structure. Really loved being able to choose our own research question as it made it more accessible and made assignments more enjoyable. I was nervous about giving the presentation but it ended up being my favourite aspect of the course.'
'Extremely well organised class, the material is clear, the teaching is clear and the lecturers are extremely approachable.'
'The fact that we had a study–buddy group really helped me to make new friends.'
'The study buddy groups were a great way to develop a network in the class.'
'STUDY BUDDY GROUPS! I am so grateful for SCIGEN making it compulsory because they were what got me through this course and motivated me!'
'Having the study buddy sessions were really helpful for assignments and I felt like I did so much better with the help from my group and tutors around me. Having the interactive lectures helped to keep me engaged in the learning of the lecture.'
'I don't see how this course needs to improve, it is pretty well organised across the board.'