SCIGEN 101G Communicating in a Knowledge Society
SCIGEN 101G | Open | Semester One & Two 2021 | City Campus | 15 points
Effective communication is required for specialists in all fields to engage meaningfully with society. In this course, you will gain an understanding of the important role communication plays in a knowledge society.
Through case studies and practical experience, you will learn about the responsibilities and skills required to communicate with a variety of audiences. You will learn how to effectively manage and present data and practice oral, written, visual and electronic communication.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Understand the concept of a knowledge society and experts’ obligations in this environment
- Understand the nature and method of communication
- Understand the need to create messages for specific audiences and how to identify audiences’ needs and wants
- Learn techniques that can be employed to communicate effectively
- Demonstrate effective ways of managing and presenting data
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate expert knowledge, using oral, written and visual communication.
- What is communication?
- What is a knowledge society?
- Written communication – editing, abstracts, essays, CVs and covering letters, academic posters
- Oral communication – PowerPoint seminars, interviews, engaging through dialogue, networking
- Visual communication – academic poster presentation, statistical communication and data management
- Audiences: Communicating expert information to the public – critical examination of case studies
'One of the best papers I have taken because of the variety and different types of assignments and information given. The assignments were types I haven't done before at uni and it made the course more interesting.'
'This course was really well organised in terms of content and structure. Really loved being able to choose our own research question as it made it more accessible and made assignments more enjoyable. I was nervous about giving the presentation but it ended up being my favourite aspect of the course.'
'Extremely well organised class, the material is clear, the teaching is clear and the lecturers are extremely approachable.'
'The fact that we had a study–buddy group really helped me to make new friends.'
'The study buddy groups were a great way to develop a network in the class.'
'STUDY BUDDY GROUPS! I am so grateful for SCIGEN making it compulsory because they were what got me through this course and motivated me!'
'Having the study buddy sessions were really helpful for assignments and I felt like I did so much better with the help from my group and tutors around me. Having the interactive lectures helped to keep me engaged in the learning of the lecture.'
'I don't see how this course needs to improve, it is pretty well organised across the board.'