THEOREL 101G The Bible in Popular Culture
THEOREL 101G | Open | Semester Two 2022 | City Campus | 15 points
An exploration of biblical themes, images, and metaphors in contemporary film, music and cultural arts through which religion and culture intersect. It develops tools appropriate for analysing popular culture, as it moves from the local to the national to the global.
Restriction: THEOLOGY 101, 101G
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Learn and apply basic theories to analyse popular culture.
- Understand and explain how the Bible influences popular culture and how popular culture influences interpretations of the biblical texts.
- Recognise, analyse and evaluate the ways in which the Bible functions as a cultural resource in a wide variety of contemporary contexts and cultures.
- Identify and evaluate some significant Biblical themes and characters as they appear in popular culture texts, including film, music, art, advertising, television and the media;
- Learn the skills of writing an engaging and well-written essay, which others will want to read.
'The lecturer’s passion and approach to the material were beyond inspiring and really helped me grasp the information… This should be taken by every student.'
'I loved this paper and would thoroughly recommend it. It has made me want to take THEOREL as a minor in my BA. My expectations were high but this paper surpassed all of them. A great lecturer who presented fascinating course material in an interesting way.'
'One of the most enthusiastic and approachable lecturers I’ve ever had. It was always very clear what we’d be learning about and what was expected of us – this was very valuable.'
'As someone who’s (almost) never picked up a Bible, I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed this course… This will definitely be helpful for my degree.'
'This course was amazing! I loved it! It was so thought-provoking, enjoyable, and an interesting experience.'
'This was the best course I have ever done, and if I wasn’t in my last semester I would definitely have switched to a THEOREL major.'
'This was an excellent General Education course that I would highly recommend.'