Who to talk to if you're a staff member

These people can provide support if you are a staff member experiencing family or relationship violence and would like to explore your options. You are welcome to bring a support person with you. Confidentiality and privacy will be respected.

Information and general support
  • PVC Māori or PVC Pacific
  • HR Advisory
  • Academic Head or Manager
  • Union

Access to University support

  • Flexible work arrangements 
  • Campus personal safety planning
  • Leave
  • Line manager
  • HR manager or adviser
  • HS&W manager
  • Assoc Director Staff Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, HR

Expert Organisation

  • Personal safety planning 
  • Places of refuge
  • Counselling 
  • Advocacy and legal advice



  • Shine
  • HELP
  • Tu Wahine 
  • Women's Refuge
  • Shakti

Where there is a real or imminent threat, call the police on 111

Support people

There are a number of staff who can provide general information and support about family violence. These include a manager, faculty or department Equity Committee representatives and Health, Safety & Wellbeing Advisers, as well as the following people:

Tertiary Education Union (TEU)

Jane Kostanich
TEU Representative
Phone: +64 9 923 7688
Email: Jane.Kostanich@teu.ac.nz.

Public Service Association (PSA)

Alamelu Badrinarayanan
PSA Representative
Phone: +64 9 923 7668
Email: a.badri@auckland.ac.nz.


Employment Assistance Programme. Free, confidential and independent counselling.


Staff Risk Intervention Team

(SRIT) for support of external or unknown anonymous threats. Call internal 86000.

Whistleblower hotline for anonymously reporting harassment or bullying within the university community.

Contact people for access to formal University support

The following people can help you access flexible work arrangements or leave to attend to family violence matters, or to develop a campus personal safety plan.

Your line manager, head of department or service division

Human Resources

Contact your HR Adviser or HR Manager, or Health, Safety & Wellbeing Manager.

Assoc Director, Staff Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, HR 

Dr Guillermo Merelo
Email: guillermo.merelo@auckland.ac.nz

University security

Report any suspicious behaviour immediately, no matter how minor it may appear, to University Security.

City campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85000 or 0800 373 7550
Tāmaki Innovation Campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85225
Grafton campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86081
Epsom campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 44835

Where there is a real or imminent threat, call the police on 111.

Expert organisations

To contact an external organisation that can provide advice, support, emergency housing,safety planning off campus or advocacy see Expert organisations who can help.

Legal help

Find out more about your legal options.