Biological Safety Committee
Terms of reference
- To provide oversight of all approvals for the importation or development of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) to ensure compliance with statutory obligations under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Act 1996.
- To provide oversight and guidance on applications to the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) for the importation or development of GMOs to ensure compliance with statutory obligations under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Act 1996.
- To determine the containment procedures for experimental work, housing, storage, transportation and disposal involving GMOs.
- To determine containment and procedures for all experimental work involving higher risk microorganisms.
- To ensure registers of approved projects are maintained.
- Conflicts of Interest
Committee members must declare any real or perceived conflicts of interest in line with the requirements of the University’s Conflicts of Interest Policy.
Committee members have a responsibility to treat all information with appropriate confidentiality. This includes matters tabled or discussed at the Committee meetings, as well as any additional issues that are raised outside meetings.
- Three members appointed by the Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- Three members appointed by the Faculty of Science
- One member appointed by the Faculty of Engineering
- Biological Safety Officer
- Three lay members appointed by the Council, two of whom are appointed in compliance with EPA guidelines on Maori membership
- One co-opted member.