Purpose and values
We create globally transformative impacts through our distinctive strengths in worldleading research, scholarship, teaching and collaborative partnerships, inspired by our unique position in Aotearoa New Zealand and the Asia-Pacific.
We will be internationally recognised for our unique contribution to fair, ethical and sustainable societies.
Te Ao Māori Principles
We are committed to positively impacting society, and to the advancement and exploration of knowledge. We will do this in ways consistent with our emerging Waipapa framework. Our fundamental principles reflect our foundational relationship with tangata whenua and our commitment to Te Tiriti.
Manaakitanga – Caring for those around us in the way we relate to each other.
Whanaungatanga – Recognising the importance of kinship and lasting relationships.
Kaitiakitanga – Valuing stewardship and guardianship and our relationship with the natural world.
Our values are lived through our behaviours and actions, with strong and enduring commitments to open intellectual inquiry, collaboration, creativity, and equity and diversity.
Respect and Integrity
- We respect and appreciate what makes people different, harnessing the power of
- We recognise the multiple perspectives of our community.
- We understand that our actions influence intergenerational equality and act
accordingly in the service of equity and inclusion.
- We act with integrity, openness and honesty at all times.
- We take responsibility for our choices and actions, and trust that others will fulfil
- We are values-led in our relationships, creating genuine opportunities for the
communities we serve to engage in ethical and responsible partnerships.
- We embrace the generation and sharing of knowledge, supporting the freedom to
express controversial opinions and ideas without retribution.
- As a world-class university, we will maximise our contributions to forging just and sustainable societies in Aotearoa New Zealand and the Pacific.
- We are ambitious for the betterment of society and aspire to excellence in everything we do.
- Together with our students, communities and international partners, we facilitate solutions that shape and advance our future.
- In our role as a world-class university, we work to graduate the leaders of tomorrow.
- We believe that excellence in teaching and research provides a means of engendering transformation in the lives of many people.
- An ethic of active service and civic responsibility underpins all engagements with
- We engage with our communities in genuine partnerships to promote their
prosperity and help them to realise their aspirations.
- We apply our knowledge, skills and expertise derived from our engagement with
kaupapa Māori and international scholarship to the positive transformation of society.