Our Net Zero carbon journey
Waipapa Taumata Rau University of Auckland has a long history of energy and water efficiency, as well as waste reduction. We have been monitoring and managing utilities and waste since 1979 and can successfully demonstrate positive progress.
Taumata Teitei – Vision 2030 and Strategic Plan 2025 outlines a commitment to achieve net-zero carbon status and to publish meaningful metrics of the University’s progress towards overall sustainability. In 2019, the Sustainability team, part of Property Services, set the bar high with regard to carbon emissions measurement and reduction by preparing the first carbon emissions inventory aligned with latest international standards ISO14064-1:2018.
Since then, we have continued to prepare and externally verify our annual greenhouse gas emissions inventories. These have been audited by Toitū and we are proud to announce that Waipapa Taumata Rau University of Auckland (including Auckland Uniservices Limited, all campuses and operational emissions) is Toitū Carbonreduce organisation certified and that we have received highest level of assurance for all required measures of carbon.
In 2022, the total carbon emissions were 47,375.94 tCO2e, which is 43% lower than the base year (2019) total of 81,290.06 tCO2e. A reduction in emissions intensity of 29.79 tCO2e/$M has been achieved from the baseline year.
What you can do
- If you live relatively close take the opportunity to get some exercise by walking, jogging or cycling to and from the University.
- Support public transport by catching a bus, train or ferry, wherever possible.
- If you have no choice but to use a car to get to work, share a ride with friends, family, co-workers or students.
- Take part in tree planting activities – get a group of colleagues or friends together and set up your own group or join an existing one to help plant and nurture native plants.
- Avoid heavily packaged items
- Rethink your modes and frequency of travel