Applying for a visa
Before you arrive in New Zealand to begin your studies at The University of Auckland, you need a valid passport and a student visa.
What is a student visa?
This is an endorsement in your passport that allows you to enter New Zealand.
How do I apply for a student visa?
Applying from overseas
When applying for a student visa, you are required to pay your tuition fees first and include the receipt with your visa application to Immigration New Zealand. You also need to provide a copy of your Offer letter. Immigration New Zealand provides specific details of all documentation required for a student visa on the application form.
You can download the student visa application form from the Immigration New Zealand website.
Applying as an exchange student
Immigration New Zealand has notified us that exchange students must obtain a student visa before entering New Zealand.
After you receive our letter of Offer from your exchange coordinator, apply immediately for your student visa by contacting your nearest New Zealand Embassy or Consulate for procedures and an application form. You must be able to support yourself financially for the duration of your stay in New Zealand.
See full details of visa requirements at the Immigration New Zealand website.
For further information for exchange students, see Prepare for arrival.
- Future undergraduates
- Future postgraduates
- Current students
- Welcome to our international students
- Welcome! Bienvenido! Herzlich Willkommen!
- Why choose The University of Auckland?
- Study options
- Study Abroad and Exchange
- Entry requirements
- How to apply
- Life at Auckland
- Tuition fees and costs
- Scholarships, loans and funding
- Career prospects
- Academic information
- International Prospectus
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Contact us
- Parents and family
- Alumni and friends
- Business, employers and community
- The media
- The University
- Programmes and courses
- Admission and enrolment
- Teaching and learning
- International Strategy
- Māori ki Tāmaki Makaurau | Māori at the University
- Pacific at the University
- Equity at the University | Te Ara Tautika
- Giving to Auckland
- Careers at Auckland
- News, events and notices
Faculties, institutes, campuses and library
- Faculty of Arts
- Business School
- National Institute of Creative Arts and Industries
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Liggins Institute
- Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- Libraries and Learning Services
- More information...