Putea Wharenoho | Accommodation fees
Here you’ll find details on our putea wharenoho | Accommodation fees, how we charge your room account, when you should pay and how you can make payments.
The University of Auckland offers quality accommodation in the heart of Auckland City, at comparable prices to other New Zealand universities – making Auckland an affordable option.
How do the fees work?
Accommodation fees are calculated for the full period stated in the residential agreement, and include utilities such as water, electricity, and laundry. You are required to pay your Accommodation fees for the duration of your fixed term agreement.
In the catered halls, meals are also included.
Accommodation fees for the term of your residential agreement are charged in the following way. Please note all fees are charged in New Zealand Dollars (NZD).
To be paid prior to check-in
- Deposit: To confirm your offer, you will need to sign your Residential Agreement and pay a $950 deposit. This deposit is made up of a $300 Application Fee (non-refundable) and $650 towards your Advance Payment and Residential Services Fee.
- Advance Payment: This is approximately the first three weeks of your Accommodation Fees (see relevant payment schedule for exact amount).The $650 from your above deposit goes towards this charge, and the remaining amount and Residential Services Fee must be paid prior to checking in.
- Residential Services Fee: The Residential Services Fee for 2024 is $330 for an Academic or Full Year term, or $165 for a One Semester term. This is a compulsory one-off charge that must be paid prior to checking in. This fee covers year-round community engagement activities, access to the University Recreation Centre, and laundry facilities and must be paid for each new residential term.
- Remaining balance: Your Advance Payment will cover approximately your first three weeks Accommodation Fees. Your remaining Accommodation Fee balance will then begin to be applied to your account in fortnightly instalments as per your relevant payment schedule charge dates. You are required to make payment of each fortnightly charge within 7 days of the charged date. See information on how to pay your Accommodation Fees below.
- Additional charges: It is your responsibility to ensure that any additional charges made to your account due to damages, defaulting on payments, or items purchased through the online shop are paid in full before you check-out.
Please note: The period of the residential agreement is fixed. You will be required to pay for Accommodation for the full period you have agreed to even if you arrive later than the start date, or leave prior to the end date.
*The $300 administrative fee is not a part of your overall accommodation total.
How can I pay?
You can pay your Accommodation Fees in two ways:
- Automatic payments via your bank. This is the preferred method of payment. Ensure that you use the first and last fortnightly instalment dates detailed on the table of fees for your residence when setting up your automatic payments through your online banking account or directly with your bank. The account details you will need to set up your fortnightly automatic payment are detailed below.
- Online payments via the tomokanga wharenoho | Accommodation portal. Once you have logged in, click on your 'My Account' tab in the blue menu bar and follow the instructions provided.
Online payment options include: Visa/Mastercard, Alipay, China UnionPay, Visa/Mastercard Debit Card or A2A | Account 2 Account (ANZ, ASB, BNZ, KiwiBank, TSB & Westpac only)
PLEASE NOTE: As of January 2020, all credit card and debit card payments will incur a 1.9% Convenience Fee. This will be added automatically when you make your payment. To find out more, visit the Card Payment Convenience Fee webpage.
Bank Transfer details
To pay move-in costs, fortnightly payments or lump sum payments via bank transfer please use the details below:
Name of bank: ANZ
Name of account: University of Auckland Accommodation
Account number: 01 1839 0818777 07
Reference: Please provide your student ID number and residence name only as a reference on all bank payments.
For overseas transactions:
SWIFT code: ANZBNZ22
SWIFT BIC ADDRESS - NEW ZEALAND
ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited
170-186 Featherston Street, Wellington, New Zealand
If a routing number (IBAN) is also required, please use the first 6 digits of our account number: 011839
Please note: we do not take cash or cheque payments for accommodation fees, however if you are in Auckland you are welcome to come into our office to pay your deposit by Eftpos, credit card or UnionPay, provided you are making the payment before your acceptance due date.