Looking to develop your leadership skills? Why not apply for a position as Resident Advisor in our University accommodation?
What is a Resident Advisor (RA)?
A Resident Advisor lives in our university accommodation and serves as a student staff member, leader and resource person for students living in accommodation.
The position requires being a representative of the University and a facilitator for a positive residential experience.
Our University Accommodation
We encourage you to explore the Accommodation section of our website to find out about the University of Auckland’s unique communities and accommodation.
When applying, you’ll be given the option to indicate your preference for a position in a hall or residence. Please note that there are times where we offer you a position in an area that was not a preference.
A Resident Advisor
Serves as a resource to residents
- Engages proactively with all students in your assigned area. Be approachable and receptive.
- Exhibits knowledge of campus services
- Communicates and promote the core values and policies of Accommodation, the wider Campus Life division and the University of Auckland.
- Knows, abides and enforces all rules and regulations of the University residences as outlined in the Residential Rules and Resident Handbooks.
- Creates an environment where the needs and concerns of diverse populations of students are appreciated.
- Promotes and supports an environment that is conducive to academic and social development.
- Collaborates on, supports and attends residential activities and events.
Provides support to residents
- Assists students with academic, personal and social concerns, and refer residents to appropriate residential staff and support services when necessary.
- Assists with mediation and crisis situations.
- Works with appropriate residential staff to resolve maintenance issues and safety concerns.
Review the Resident Advisor position description
Applications for 2018 Resident Advisor positions open on Friday 30 June and close Sunday 6 August 2017. Job ID 19027 on opportunities.auckland.ac.nz
How to apply:
- Step 1: Review the RA job description and the key dates when they are released to ensure that you understand the expectations of the position.
- Step 2: You will apply online to opportunities.auckland.ac.nz to find the position listing.
- Step 3: Chosen candidates will be contacted to confirm an interview and should respond in a timely manner.
- Step 4: Attend an individual and group interview (details will be provided directly to applicants, but suggested resources to help you prepare are listed below).
Optional CV and cover letter help
We encourage you to visit Career Development and Employment Services for help in creating your CV or help in writing your cover letter.
Optional interview skills help
You can also seek help in preparing for your individual interview.
Optional employment workshops
The Career Development and Employment Services hold workshops regularly for all students. Log into MyCDES to see what workshops will benefit you in your RA application preparation.
Do you have any questions?
For additional questions regarding the RA Position, or other leadership opportunities in Accommodation, contact: email@example.com.