University Proctor

The Proctor is the primary reference point for all matters relating to student non-academic misconduct.

University Proctors: Professor Gillian Lewis and Micheal Rengers.

Who is the University Proctor?

Professor Gillian Lewis (School of Biological Sciences) and Micheal Rengers (Associate Director Campus Life, Accommodation) share the role of Proctor at the University.

What does the Proctor do?

  • The Proctor is the primary reference point in the University for all matters relating to student non-academic misconduct, including complaints against students, or disputes between students.
  • The Proctor assesses disputes between students or complaints about student conduct and can recommend or determine the appropriate next steps, which may include referral to an external mediator or disciplinary procedures.
  • The Proctor is a contact person for students who are concerned about bullying and harassment.
  • The Proctor can advise students about where they should take any concerns about academic matters or about issues with members of staff.
  • The Proctor can advise staff (eg, Deans and Heads of Department) about how to handle disputes involving students.
  • The Proctor convenes a group of University experts who assess and assist in handling student behaviour which may present a risk to students, staff or university activities.
  • The Proctor can advise anyone in the University about student conduct and dispute policies.

What doesn’t the Proctor do?

The Proctor does not handle matters relating solely to academic complaints or disputes (eg, disputing grades) or academic misconduct (eg, cheating).
However, the Proctor can provide advice about the policies and procedures in these areas.

Who can contact the Proctor?

Both students and staff can contact the Proctor about a (non-academic) issue of student conduct.

How do I contact the Proctor?

The preferred contact method is by email.

Phone: 923 7005
Mobile: 027 839 3832

When should I contact the Proctor?

You should contact the Proctor if:

  • The behaviour of another student causes you concern, particularly if you perceive them as bullying, threatening, intimidating or acting unfairly towards you.
  • You feel victimised or threatened by the actions of another student.
  • You do not know who to talk to about a dispute or problem with a member of staff.

Staff can contact the Proctor if they need advice about how to handle a complaint or dispute involving a student, or are concerned about the behaviour of a student.

Who else can I talk to?

  • If you consider that there is any immediate threat or danger, you should contact the police. Phone 111 for an emergency, or your district police office (Auckland Central is 302 6400). If you are on campus you can contact UNISAFE (Campus Security) on 0800 373 7550 (or 966 from an internal phone).
  • If you (or another student) are emotionally distressed or in need of support, you can contact Counselling services.
  • You can contact the AUSA Advocacy for support and assistance in any matter.
  • If you are concerned about some aspect of your academic studies, you can contact the teaching staff responsible, particularly the Course Convenor, or the Academic Head (head of school or department). Class Representatives can also help you with this.
  • If you have a concern about your enrolment or decisions about admission or credit, you should contact your faculty student centre.
  • If you are a resident in University accommodation, you can contact a Resident Advisor or member of the Accommodation management team.
  • If you are experiencing abuse or violence by someone close to you, such as a partner, family member or flatmate, the University can provide support. Read more at Family violence: It's not OK.  
  • If you want to make an anonymous complaint, you can use the whistleblower hotline to report suspected unethical misconduct including fraud, corruption, harassment or bullying.