Applying for a new student visa in New Zealand
You can apply for a student visa through AskAuckland Central, or Immigration New Zealand.
If you change your programme you must apply for a new student visa as the programme on your student visa must match your enrolment.
Student visa applications through AskAuckland Central must be submitted at least 7 days before the current student visa expires. For queries about your visa please visit AskAuckland Central. Once your application is ready to submit book an appointment.
You cannot leave New Zealand while your visa application is being processed.
If you have a student visa you may apply through AskAuckland Central. If you hold any other visa you must apply directly through Immigration New Zealand.
Exchange and NZAID students must apply for a student visa through Immigration New Zealand (i.e. the University will NOT be able to process your application).
You can apply for a one-year student visa if the two semesters are in the same academic year (for example Semesters One and Two, 2018).
If you are under 18 years old, you must submit a guarantee of accommodation with your student visa application. See Information for under 18 international students or contact the International Student Support Team: email@example.com.
How do I apply for a student visa through the University?
- Download an application form below
- Prepare your supporting documentation
- Book an appointment
What documentation do I require?
Application checklist for all students
- Completed, signed and dated application form.
- New Zealand residential address which must be the same address registered on Student Services Online.
- Two passport-size photographs (less than 6 months old).
- Proof of University of Auckland tuition fees payment. You can print your statement from Student Services Online.
- Proof of Funds – refer to the additional information on page 3 of the visa application form.
- Evidence of outward travel – refer to additional information on page 3 of the visa application form.
- Your passport (make sure you have blank pages and your passport doesn’t expire for at least 3 months).
Additional requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate students (excluding PhD students)
- You must be enrolled in at least 45 points per semester (usually three courses of 15 points each). This may exclude Study Abroad and Exchange students who generally enrol in 60 points (usually four courses of 15 points each). If you are studying fewer points than the above, please discuss your situation with the staff at AskAuckland Central, as restrictions apply.
- New students: Please print and attach a transcript from your previous institution or school.
- Current students: Please print your unofficial transcript from Student Services Online. Please refer to the additional information on page 4 of the visa application form.
- Attendance certificate/letter:
- You must provide an attendance certificate or letter if you have previously studied in New Zealand (excluding university students).
- Immigration New Zealand attendance policy states that to be eligible for a student visa a student must have a minimum of 96 per cent attendance in their previous academic year.
- If you have not fulfilled this requirement, you must apply for your visa at an Immigration New Zealand office (The University will not be able to process your student visa application).
- Important note on academic progress:
- Immigration New Zealand’s academic progress policy states that to be eligible for a student visa, a student must pass at least 75 per cent of their courses each semester. If you did not do this in your previous semester, then you must apply for your visa at an Immigration New Zealand office or online (ie, the University will not be able to process your student visa application).
- If you have not met Immigration New Zealand’s academic progress requirements and would like to discuss your situation, please contact an International Student Adviser.
Additional requirements for PhD students
- Updated registration summary. Please log into Student Services Online for a copy.
- Current PhD students must be enrolled for the upcoming year.
- INZ1200 form to be completed by all doctoral students. Please download the form from Immigration New Zealand.
Do I need any additional documentation?
The following documents may also be required. It is your responsibility to contact Immigration New Zealand regarding the validity of your medical, chest x-ray, and police certificates, and find out whether you need to submit new certificates.
Immigration New Zealand will contact you if further documents are required.
Medical & Chest X-ray certificates
- Medical and Chest X-ray certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within 3 months from date of issue.
- Medical and Chest X-ray certificates must be submitted every 36 months or when requested by Immigration New Zealand.
- Police certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within 6 months of the date of issue.
- A national police certificate from your home country must be submitted every 36 months. If your national police certificate is not in English, you must translate the certificate and submit both:
- The original police certificate.
- The original translation of the police certificate.
For information on how to apply for a police certificate, visit Immigration New Zealand.
Immigration New Zealand contact details:
Phone: (09) 914 4100
Freephone: 0508 558 855
Student visa application fees
|Application submitted to:||Fee|
|Immigration New Zealand (online application)||$250|
- Payment can be made via EFTPOS or credit card.
- We regret we are unable to accept cash payments.
- Student visa application fees are non-refundable. Please ensure that you meet the criteria and provide the necessary documentation before the 7-day deadline.
- If you have any queries or concerns about applying for your student visa on campus, please contact the AskAuckland Central before you pay the fee.
Applying through Immigration New Zealand
If you are applying through Immigration New Zealand, we recommend submitting your application at least 45 days before your current visa expires.
Please visit the Immigration New Zealand webpage for instructions.