Applying for a new student visa in New Zealand

If you already have a current student visa, you may apply for your new student visa through AskAuckland Central, or directly through Immigration New Zealand. If you hold any other visa, you must apply directly through Immigration New Zealand.

Exchange and NZAID students must apply for a student visa directly through Immigration New Zealand. The University will not be able to process your application. Students applying for their first PhD visa must also apply directly with Immigration New Zealand online. 

Student visa applications through AskAuckland Central must be submitted at least 7 days before your current student visa expires. If you have any questions about your visa, please visit AskAuckland Central or book an appointment to ask about your visa.

Please note: AskAuckland Central staff members are not licensed immigration advisers, and some queries will need to be referred to Immigration New Zealand. 

You can apply for a one-year student visa if the two semesters are in the same academic year (for example, Semesters One and Two, 2019).

If your passport expires before your course end date then it is your responsibility to renew your passport and re-apply for a new visa, before your current visa expires.

If you change your programme or you have been upgraded to another programme you must apply for a new visa, as the programme on your student visa must match your enrolment.

If you are under 18 years old, you must submit a guarantee of accommodation from the International Office with your student visa application. If you are under 18 years old and would like part-time work rights, please also submit a letter from the International Office and a letter from your parents giving you permission to do so. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this, contact

How to apply for a student visa through the University

  1. Download a Student visa application form (INZ 1240) below
  2. Download and consult the Evidence of Funds guide below
  3. Download the relevant cover sheet below (New students coversheet, Current students coversheet or PhD student coversheet)
  4. Prepare and print all of your supporting documents
  5. Book a visa appointment to submit your application

What documents do I require?

Please see the INZ 1013 guide for student visa applications, available via Immigration New Zealand’s website: INZ 1013 guide from Immigration New Zealand.

Please also refer to the checklist on the relevant coversheet for more information regarding the documents you will need to provide.

Additional requirements for students excluding PhD students

You must be enrolled in at least 3 courses or 45 points per semester. If your enrolment is less than this, please see Part-time visa for international students.

If you are enrolled in fewer points than this, please discuss your situation with the staff at AskAuckland Central or email, as restrictions apply.

If you are a Research Masters student, and you have submitted your thesis, please see How do I apply for my next student visa after submitting my Masters thesis?

If you have any further queries, please contact Immigration New Zealand for advice:
Phone: (09) 914 4100
Freephone: 0508 558 855

Student visa application fees

Application submitted to: Fee before 1 July 2019 Fee from 1 July 2019
AskAuckland Central $250 $285
Immigration New Zealand (online application) $275 $310 (with some exceptions)

From 1 July 2019, Immigration New Zealand have introduced an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs $35 per visa application, hence the fee increase from this date. Some students are exempt from paying the IVL. To find out if you are exempt, please see International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy.

AskAuckland Central

If you are applying at AskAuckland Central:

  • Payment can be made via EFTPOS or credit card.
  • We regret that we are unable to accept cash payments.
  • Student visa application fees are non-refundable. Please ensure that you meet the criteria and provide the necessary documentation at least 7 days before your current visa expires. 
  • If you are planning to travel overseas, please ensure you have submitted your application at AskAuckland Central at least 3 business days before you travel outwards. 

Important notice

From 26 November 2018, all successful visa applications submitted through AskAuckland Central will be issued in eVisa format, rather than as a label endorsed in your passport.

Please regularly check your student email inbox for notification regarding the outcome of your application.

For more information regarding the eVisa, please see How do I collect my new student visa.

Applying through Immigration New Zealand

If you are applying through Immigration New Zealand, we recommend submitting your application at least 45 days before your current visa expires.

For instructions, please visit the Immigration New Zealand webpage.