University supports trans students’ legal name change
The University of Auckland will cover the cost of legal name changes for trans students who meet eligibility criteria as assessed by the Equity Office.
Trans students’ experiences and University of Auckland research have identified that use of preferred rather than legal names is key to the provision of a safe and inclusive environment for trans students. Inappropriate use of legal names can lead to ‘outing’ and associated negative consequences including to health, safety and wellbeing.
Trans students and staff are encouraged to join Trans on Campus (firstname.lastname@example.org), which is a support network, social group and advocacy group for gender diverse students and staff.
- Stuff NZ: Auckland University pays for transgender students' name changes
- Stuff NZ: Kiwi transgender child's inspiring video goes global
- Read about "Youth '12: Fact Sheet about Transgender Young People"
- Human Rights Commission: Trans people - facts & information
- Human Rights Commission: Inquiry into Discrimination Experienced by Transgender People
- UNDP: Helen Clark: International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, 17 May 2015