Maclaurin Chapel facilities
Find out about the chapel’s facilities including its hall, services and organ.
The Chapel is a place of quiet where students and staff can find a space to pray or read or just sit. During semester time, it is open each weekday 8:30am to 5pm.
The use of the chapel for special services or musical activities can be arranged with the Chapel Administrator.
The Chapel was built as the result of a gift from Sir William Goodfellow in 1947. He gave a sum of £50,000 for the construction of a chapel in memory of his son, Lt Richard Maclaurin Goodfellow, who was killed in 1944 while serving with the Fleet Air Arm.
The building also recognises Richard Cockburn Maclaurin, who was a distinguished graduate of the then University College (now The University of Auckland). He was President of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology from 1909 until 1920.
The complex was designed by Gummer Ford and Partners and construction was by Sargent Construction Company. It was completed in 1964.
The Chapel is available to past and present members of the University community for weddings, baptisms and funerals by arrangement with the Chaplain. The Chapel plays a central part in the life of the University, with services in connection with orientation, graduation and other significant occasions in the University year.
The hall is available to students during semester time from 8:30am-5pm. There are tables for study and places where people can talk to one another. There is a kitchen, and tea and coffee are available. Toilets and basic facilities are available. The complex can provide a place of retreat and refreshment in the midst of the demands of University life.
The Chaplaincy and the University want the complex to be a welcoming place where people can meet and nurture their spiritual needs. It is a witness to the belief that academia and spirituality go together.
Enquiries about hall hire or use of the Chapel should be made with the Chapel Administrator, phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 87731.
Music and the organ
The Chapel is an ideal place in which to make music. It is used by the Music Department and other groups for this purpose.
The Chapel has a genuine Baroque Organ which is ideally suited to the building. The organ is under the direct control of the Head of Department of Music and may not be played without permission from the Head of Department.
All enquiries should be made through the Chapel Administrator, phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 87731.