Dispute resolution

What to do if you experience a non-academic dispute at the University of Auckland.

Support services available for dispute resolution

If you have a dispute at the University, you may find it helpful initially to discuss it with one of the following support services:

See also:

Dispute resolution procedure

If discussions with these support services do not resolve the issue, the following procedure will apply:

University Proctor

The University Proctor deals with disputes involving students. The Proctor can also provide advice about what to do about disputes involving a member of staff, and other issues to do with student conduct.